• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea has diarrhea/not moving/not eating

HaileyRain

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Toby was constipated then diarrhea then it all over again(back and forth), now he just has diarrhea-stomach pain-I called the vet also, they said to change the diet (we have kale and spinach) (I did, he recovered, now he is back at it this illness) I know he's hungry because he I was force feeding him through his crushed pellets in a baby medicine dropper.. but I noticed he was moving his back teeth weird.. I don't have enough money for a vet and I wanna do it on my own because of it. Help...

I’m sorry but your pig NEEDS to see a vet NOW as an emergency!
He sounds seriously ill if he is not eating or moving and has diarrhoea :(
Could you borrow the money from someone? Speak to the vet who may offer a payment plan? Either way I know it’s not what you want to hear but please get him to a vet ASAP.
Good luck; I hope your piggy recovers well!

:agr:. Your piggy needs to see a vet as an emergency.
Do you mean you used to give kale and spinach or that you now give kale and spinach? Those two items are not suitable to be fed to a piggy everyday due to their high calcium levels.

Constipation in guinea pigs is quite uncommon, usually when they're not pooping its because they have not eaten enough to actually produce poops. They need lots of fibre so your best bet is to get hold of some critical care to syringe feed him, although a slurry made from his pellets will do for now, this will hopefully keep his guts moving and stop him going into stasis.

Are you in the UK? If so, please look into PDSA or Blue Cross vets in your area, moving his back teeth oddly could well be a sign of dental issues which will be fatal if not treated by a vet, they will need filing which is not something we can do at home, if not corrected, they will continually grow, over his tongue until his mouth is completely useless and he will sadly starve.
Odd mouth movements can also be something called bruxing, this is done due to pain. When their digestive system starts to slow down, they can get gassy or get stasis which is where the guts stop moving. This is very painful for them. Unfortunately this is also a vet job rather than something that can be fixed at home, especially if he is no longer moving around and becoming lethargic, this would be considered an emergency.

Fingers crossed for him and all the best, I hope he pulls through :(

How old is Toby? Is it possible he has an impaction (more common in older boars - have a look at the videos here and see if it looks possible). If it IS and impaction and if its got really bad and he's stopped eating then you'd probably want some experienced hands to help you get it under control and help get him back on his feet, although once you know what you're doing you may well be able to manage it at home.

But please please please find a way to get him to a vet. All any of us can do from the far end of a computer is make wild guesses and random suggestions on the back of the information given, and a poorly piggy needs someone right there who can do hands on observations. I've got my fingers crossed for him.

I am afraid that nothing we can recommend on this forum will substitute proper veterinary care that your piggy really, really needs right now. Please get him to see a vet ASAP.

Back