• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pig ate a piece of my gloves

Luezoideria

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was thoroughly cleaning my guinea pig cage with gloves on, and when I finished, I decided to put my gloves down and sit for a bit. I put my gloves near my guinea pigs and one of them chewed off a bit of my gloves. I'm not 100% sure what material the gloves were, but probably rubber. It's the type you buy at the local dollar tree. The piece she bit off was not larger than a fourth of a fingernail. Should I contact a vet right away, or look out for weird behaviors before contacting them?

I would say keep a close eye on your piglet.
Look out for signs of pain/discomfort, lack of poop, or a hard and swollen abdomen. Your piggy clearly got it down, so you don't have to worry about a choking hazard. Piggies are unable to vomit, so it will have to go all the way through.
Any sign of issues and take him to the vets.
Please wait for someone more experienced to come along, though.
:wel:to the forum.

Pigs will sometimes eat items like this (mine once ate a bunch of plastic bag when the kids left the hay bag too close to the bars) and generally they will pass right through. Just keep an eye for the next couple of days to make sure your pig is pooping normally. The risk is that non-food items can cause a blockage in the intestines, but with such a tiny piece I really think your piggie will do just fine.

Okie Dokie, thank you guys for helping out! She seems to be fine so far, but I'm keeping a close eye.

Back