• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sverker&birger

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve had my pigs since last Thursday, and today I’ve heard them sneezing. Or at least that is what it sounds like. I’ve read that guinea pig can get URIs after moving and now I’m very worried. They eat normally and from what I can tell (they are still very cautious and won’t come out from their hides when I’m near unless I clean their cage) they have no discharge around their eyes or nose, and they do not have any laboured breathing and do not make any wheezing sounds either. They also run around a lot and play. Should I take them to the vet or standby?
please help

Piggies can sneeze when they’re cleaning themselves - as a way to clear their airways. Or when they eat too fast. If you’re worried and it seems too ‘often’ then there’s no harm getting them checked out.

Have you taken them to the vet yet, or booked them an appointment for a general check?

Piggies can sneeze when they’re cleaning themselves - as a way to clear their airways. Or when they eat too fast. If you’re worried and it seems too ‘often’ then there’s no harm getting them checked out.

Have you taken them to the vet yet, or booked them an appointment for a general check?

thank you for your answer! No I haven’t booked an appointment yet. They don’t sneeze extremely often (I think I heard them sneeze about 4-5 times yesterday, and since they are two, I don’t know if it’s one of them or both of them) so I think I will just watch how they behave for today and if I see any changes in behaviour otherwise I will definitely get them an appointment.

It's probably all good. When I got my piggies I had the same concern. They were sneezing quite a bit. We then worked out that it was just the bedding! The more dusty beddings make them sneeze. Since then we've switched to fleeze and the boys are perfectly fine!

I’d book them in for a general check, even if they’re not sneezing more than is normal.

Back