• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pig isn't eating.

I assumed he was put on and antibiotics due to the cut in his mouth?
Please never just stop a course of antibiotics workout prior vet approval as doing so can cause more problems than it solves
I've told the vets on email what I've done so see what they say.
I feel I know my Guinea pig better so I felt this was necessary to help him to eat and I was right. If I carried on with antibiotics and he wouldn't eat at all I mean nothing then I feel I did the right thing. It's only been a couple days that he's been off it so I'll see what the vet says. I'm feeding him now, I've managed to get nearly 7ml in him trying to get to 10ml now if I can.

Update-
He stayed in vets all day today so they can find out what's wrong with him. The vet had a look in his mouth, he went by a feel and decided that an x-ray was the next step for him.
It discovered that he had teeth right at the back growing into his cheeks and it showed that he had very sore ulcers inside both sides of his jaw so that's why he couldn't eat, he was in pain. Recently he was taking alot of water from syringe, kept looking for water every time I fed him critical care and he was pulling the syringe when it was finished, it was because he was trying to cool his mouth down as it was very sore according to the vet.
He had another dental surgery to correct it, the vet hopes this has worked. He has done what he can. He said that if he carries on not eating properly then he would need to discuss with me about putting him to sleep but it's now up to me to encourage him to eat hard foods the next few weeks.
Where he had the dental surgery for the first time at different vets, the vet should have taken an x-ray before doing surgery when I asked but they didn't do it. I will tell them on Monday so that hopefully they do not do this to another guinea pig but I doubt they'll take any notice.
I've done all I can for him and now I got the answers to why he wasn't eating so hopefully he will get better from now.

Sending your piggy healing vibes. I have my fingers crossed this vet has managed to sort his teeth out for him.

Update- I have just got home from the vets. Artimus had to be put to sleep. He was very poorly, I tried my best to help him. The vet said it was the kindest thing for him because he wouldn't eat for himself at all and he had bad dental roots so it wasn't fair to keep putting him through surgeries. He looked quite flat, had no energy. He suffered with bad diarrhea yesterday and over night, it was because the critical care went straight through him that built up inside his stomach the last few days which I didn't even know so even then syringe feeding wasn't helping him at all. I'm really devastated. I do feel like I have let him down but it was for the best. The vet said they hide pain very well & he thinks he had dental issues for about a year which it wasn't noticeable until he stopped eating.
Thankyou to everyone on here that tried to help with their advice.

Update- I have just got home from the vets. Artimus had to be put to sleep. He was very poorly, I tried my best to help him. The vet said it was the kindest thing for him because he wouldn't eat for himself at all and he had bad dental roots so it wasn't fair to keep putting him through surgeries. He looked quite flat, had no energy. He suffered with bad diarrhea yesterday and over night, it was because the critical care went straight through him that built up inside his stomach the last few days which I didn't even know so even then syringe feeding wasn't helping him at all. I'm really devastated. I do feel like I have let him down but it was for the best. The vet said they hide pain very well & he thinks he had dental issues for about a year which it wasn't noticeable until he stopped eating.
Thankyou to everyone on here that tried to help with their advice.

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. You have truly done your best and you have given him the kindest, most loving but also most heartgreaking gift we can give a pet. You have not failed Artimus in any way. You were just up against something that cannot be cured and that is very, very difficult to control even for the best of the few vets experienced with piggy dentals.
Teeth growing into the cheeks is comparatively rare and not something that is easily found because spurs normally arch inwards and trap the tongue, which makes the problem more noticeable more quickly.

Because piggies are such big personalities, we tend to forget that when the chips are down they are just small animals with a much faster metabolism. You have spared Artimus a slow death in pain and the hard end of suffering as his body was starting to break down; never forget that and never take away from that.

Strong feelings of guilt and failure are characteristic for the onset of the grieving process. We all experience them to some degree. They are not an expression of you having done wrong but of how deeply you love. You would have them if you didn't didn't care in the first place. This is even stronger when you lose such a hard-fought battle that creates a very close bond.

Artimus will have known at all times just how much loved and cherished he was and he made his last journey carried by the wings of your love. Guinea pigs have a much finer sense for that than we humans. Take pride in your care. Artimus was lucky to find such a loving and dedicated owners. He would have lived not as long as and mostly likely would have died in much more agony without you.

Please be kind with yourself in the coming days. Feel immensely sad, but please try not to feel bad. You have not failed your beloved one in any way where you could make a positive change.

Guinea pig dentals are not something that is featuring on a vet's curriculum. Artimus has sadly fallen right into a big one of the medical black holes that the long term lack of research and the classification of guinea pigs as an exotic still struggle to catch up with. They have too long been overlooked as a species because of their stigma of being a short-lived children's pet.

If you find you struggle or are stuck in one or other of the pernicious mind loops that can come with the grieving process please contact the free Blue Cross (UK animal charity) pet bereavement services. Talking is the best thing. Try not to let the and take away from the all happiness and joy you have shared with Artimus when you come out on the other side.
Pet bereavement and pet loss

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how heartbroken you must be. You did not let him down, you did what was right for him and that must have taken so much strength. Rest in peace Artimus, popcorn high over the Rainbow Bridge ❤️

I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how heartbroken you must be. You did not let him down, you did what was right for him and that must have taken so much strength. Rest in peace Artimus, popcorn high over the Rainbow Bridge ❤️
Thankyou. I will miss him.

I’m so sorry. You have clearly shown so much love and care, it’s totally heartbreaking when the worst happens despite all our best efforts. You acted with his best interested at heart throughout, and he would have really appreciated that. In time it will be easier to remember the many good days he had and not the short period where he became ill through no fault of yours. You’ve done a good job and should be proud.

Thankyou. I miss him very much, seeing his empty cage in my room breaks my heart and in the early hours I just sat next to his cage looking at where he usually sleeps trying to accept that he is actually gone. I know it will take time.

Take all the time you need we are all here for you for however long, to talk and share your memories be kind to yourself as you grieve 💐

Back