• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig, Klein, passed away and I’m worried for his brother

Bell10

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here and just created my account.
My guinea pig of 5 years passed away suddenly today. No warning just slowly stopped breathing. I tried taking him to the vet but it was too late. In his final moments I held him and softly petted him. He loved to be held and was attached to my boyfriend and I. We gave him a good home, always had food and watered, fresh bedding, and a clean cage. We’re at a loss for words right now.

While I’m heavily grieving the loss of Klein, I am very worried about his brother Brady. Any advice?

Hi all, I’m new here and just created my account.
My guinea pig of 5 years passed away suddenly today. No warning just slowly stopped breathing. I tried taking him to the vet but it was too late. In his final moments I held him and softly petted him. He loved to be held and was attached to my boyfriend and I. We gave him a good home, always had food and watered, fresh bedding, and a clean cage. We’re at a loss for words right now.

While I’m heavily grieving the loss of Klein, I am very worried about his brother Brady. Any advice?

Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry for your loss but glad that Klein has lived a normal and obviously a very happy life span and that the end has come comparatively quick and lightly for him as these things go - sadly it usually means a bad shock and a lot of upset for us owners. :(
But would we not rather want it this way and not the other way round when the chips are down?
Be kind to yourself and take the time to grieve. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it; and you were there with him.

Please give Brady time to say goodbye to Klein and time to grieve. You need to only step in if he stops eating and drinking (acute pining); otherwise you have a bit of time to do your research re. setting up a boar dating session at a rescue if that is an option.

You may find helpful practical information, tips and resources in these links here:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Welcome to the forum.
So sorry for your loss. Klein was a good age, a tribute to your love and care.
I can only echo the advice @Wiebke has given you.

If you feel like it please feel free to post a tribute to Klein in the Rainbow Bridge thread.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

I'm very sorry for your loss. He lived a good span and clearly seems very loved. ((HUGS)) to you. Wiebke has given some good advice... right now you can keep an eye on Brady to ensure that he is eating and drinking, maintaining his weight, and you can give him lots of human love and affection. It may help to let him see his brother's body, as guinea pigs will understand that their friend has died and will do their own grieving (if it's too late for this, no worries, he will still adapt and adjust.) If he's holding steady, you can take some time to grieve and plan for the future. Again, I'm so sorry and hope that you find some advice and solace here.

Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry for your loss but glad that Klein has lived a normal and obviously a very happy life span and that the end has come comparatively quick and lightly for him as these things go - sadly it usually means a bad shock and a lot of upset or us owners. :(
But would we not rather want it this way and not the other way round when the chips are down?
Be kind to yourself and take the time to grieve. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it; and you were there with him.

Please give Brady time to say goodbye to Klein and time to grieve. You need to only step in if he stops eating and drinking (acute pining); otherwise you have a bit of time to do your research re. setting up a boar dating session at a rescue if that is an option.

You may find helpful practical information, tips and resources in these links here:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

thank you for the advice, we did give him the time and he jumped around him and even tried to pull the blanket he was in 😞.
I’m glad he got the chance to say good bye.
I’ll go ahead and see if I can find a rescue near us as well. Thank you 🙏🏽

I too am sorry for your loss. Its never the right time for us to say goodbye to a loved pet, but take time to grieve and be gentle with yourselves even though there will be a piggy shaped hole in your heart.The Rainbow Bridge is very busy today. Rest peacefully Klein x

thank you for the advice, we did give him the time and he jumped around him and even tried to pull the blanket he was in 😞.
I’m glad he got the chance to say good bye.
I’ll go ahead and see if I can find a rescue near us as well. Thank you 🙏🏽

I think Second Chance Cavy Rescue in San Antonio is your closest; they cover the whole Southeast. There are very few guinea pig rescues in Texas, unfortunately; considering that you can stick the whole United Kingdom into Texas nearly 3 times over!
They are not listed in Guinea Lynx but they as far as I can see (I have been following them for a few years now) they are am overall decent outfit so you should be in good hands there.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/guineapigrescue/

Back