• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My guinea pigs are sliding on their wooden ramp, what do I do?

Sofia12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have recently purchased a two tier plastic guinea pig cage and have tried to encourage our guinea pigs to go down the ramp but every time they try they just begin to slide and turn and run back up. I have read things about putting fleece, towls, foam and blankets on the ramp to prevent slipping but I feel that would be unsafe as they would most likely chew at it. We would like the solution to be relatively simple and pet friendly e.g no towels or things they may decide to chew as I don't think that would be safe at all. Thanks.

How about sticking some carpet to the ramp.
Or you could cut and screw some wooden lats across the ramp so they have some grip?
Or score the wood with thin lines at one inch intervals so they get grip.

The other thing you must consider, is the ramp too steep? Many of the 2 tiered cages have very steep ramps, if you think this is the case then place something under the ramp base to came the gradient less steep,

I stuck some carpet on the ramp of my hutch a while back and wished I'd done it years ago. My piggies now don't have to brace themselves to go at a run up the ramp or think about going down anymore. They just wander up at down as they please. If you do put carpet on it, lay it flat and let them run on it for a bit to scent spore it as piggies follow scent spores and are more likely to use it quicker.

Thanks for everyone's help, we decided to test with an old towel and it worked really well. We left a centimetre with no towel on each side so it would be less likely they'd be able to chew the towel and so far so good. We have also made the ramp less steep and while one of our guinea pigs is using the ramp freely, the other is slightly hesitant but we're getting there. :)

Thanks for everyone's help, we decided to test with an old towel and it worked really well. We left a centimetre with no towel on each side so it would be less likely they'd be able to chew the towel and so far so good. We have also made the ramp less steep and while one of our guinea pigs is using the ramp freely, the other is slightly hesitant but we're getting there. :)
Be careful with using towel - the can sometimes get their nails stuck in the loops … which would be a problem if you weren't around.

Back