• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

My guinea pigs back legs are not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boo-boo

When she tries to walk they drag behind her! 8...8...8...
She is eating and drinking lots of water and her poos is dark! She is a bit skinny but i think she will be ok!
Please if any one has any remideies help!
I think she might have a calcium deficiency, and was thinking of maybe crushing a bit of a calcium tablet in some water and syringing it to her! Whats do yous think?

Wiebke

Staff member
It can be vitamin C deficiency (scurvy), calcium deficiency or severe bruising/injury of the spine.

In any case, I would treat with both vitamin C and calcium, and weigh her daily to control her food intake. If you have a decent vet in your area, please have her checked out. I do not how good vet care for small rodents is in South Africa.
http://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

boo-boo

It can be vitamin C deficiency (scurvy), calcium deficiency or severe bruising/injury of the spine.

In any case, I would treat with both vitamin C and calcium, and weigh her daily to control her food intake. If you have a decent vet in your area, please have her checked out. I do not how good vet care for small rodents is in South Africa.
http://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html
The vets this side are the same as by you!

boo-boo

So basicaly the major case here is lack of vitamin c for her! So could i go the the chemist and get vitaman c tablets and quater them and give it to her till tomorrow? Good idea or bad idea?

I dont know about that but have you taken the male out? It wont do her any good if she ends up pregnant, and all the guineas out there that need a home you will just be adding to them

boo-boo

ok i phoned my vet who deals with my dogs and snakes and he said i must come buy the calcium powder from them! and she will be fine he has had alot of problems of this sort of thing!

ok i phoned my vet who deals with my dogs and snakes and he said i must come buy the calcium powder from them! and she will be fine he has had alot of problems of this sort of thing!
I would still take her down there, as your vet cannot make a diagnosis over the phone so he has no idea what is wrong with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.