• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guniea pig has been acting very weird these past months and she is 4 years old.

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my guniea was doing very well for the past few months, and she’s 4 years old. Then she started to spit out stuff from her mouth, and we went to the vet for that and gave her medicine. And then after couple of weeks she started to act not herself, staying in one place, hinging, etc. then we took her to the vet again and her weight was decreasing, and decreasing. Then they had to do blood work, everything came up good on that. (That was the next appointment). And then they did more tests, and her weight was decreasing and decreasing. The vet said either she has a GI problem, and she has a lot of saliva. She isn’t eating hay only pellets and water. And now she’s more worse she can’t even eat it’s taking so much time to eat for her. Is she getting old or is she dying? Even the vet said they never seen a guniea pig have issues like this. Also, we are syringe feeding her 3 times a day, critical care from oxbow. She refuses to eat it but we forcefully feed her. We are giving her a lot of meds such as, Famotidine, and Ver omega. My dad was crying a lot and is so attached to milo, I don’t know what to do is this the end?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If she is still losing weight then you aren’t syringing her enough food and not often enough. Three times a day for a piggy who isn’t able to eat hay is likely far too little - she could need to be fed every two hours during the day and at least once during the night. For complete loss of appetite you need to get at least 60ml of syringe food into her in a 24 hour period

Its possible she has dental issues if she is not able to pick up and chew hay for herself. Were her teeth checked, including the back molars?

She needs to see a knowledgeable vet.

Where are you located?

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If she is still losing weight then you aren’t syringing her enough food and not often enough. Three times a day for a piggy who isn’t able to eat hay is likely far too little - she could need to be fed every two hours during the day and at least once during the night.

Its possible she has dental issues if she is not able to pick up and chew hay for herself.

She needs to see a more knowledge vet.

Where are you located?
I’m in Washington State, we are feeding her and they said it’s not a dental problem they already did x rays for it.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m in Washington State, we are feeding her and they said it’s not a dental problem they already did x rays for it.
Yes I understand you are feeding her, but if she is still losing weight despite being syringe fed then it’s possible she isn’t being fed enough. You need to adjust the syringe feeds to enable her to maintain her weight - if she still loses then you increase the syringing etc. How much (in terms of mls) does she take in a 24 hour period? In a lot of piggies with a complete loss of appetite you could potentially only manage to get a couple of mls in at each sitting meaning you need to feed every hour or two to be able to get enough in to them during a 24 hour period? If you having to force her (which you really shouldn’t do), then it’s better to feed less during each sitting but feed much more often.

Ok - you didn’t mention she has had her teeth checked in your original post. How long ago was the x Ray? Did they actually look into her mouth with tools?
The fact she hasn’t been eating hay means that even if it wasn’t originally a dental problem if could well be now as her teeth aren’t benefiting from the abrasive action so could well have overgrown by now. They need to chew hay constantly to keep the teeth worn down. Pellets simply don’t wear the teeth down as they simply dissolve.

Last edited:

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Did they do an actual check of her teeth without the X-ray? I don’t know if you can see they’re overgrown by X-ray. Is the vet experienced in treating guinea pigs? As said above if she’s not eating it’s likely teeth. Drooling isn’t a good sign either. Have a look at the experienced vets in the link below. I hope you get her sorted soon.
Veterinarians: Washington - Guinea Lynx Records

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Have your vets checked for oral thrush (a fungal mouth infection), which can also cause similar symptoms and problem with eating?

I most strongly recommend to please read the guide links and to follow the feeding support advice of @Piggies&buns. Three feeds a day or not enough for a piggy off their food. You chart the daily food intake by weighing your piggy on the kitchen scales every morning first thing and then adjust the amount and times you feed accordingly in order to stabilise the weight as much as possible.

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yes I understand you are feeding her, but if she is still losing weight despite being syringe fed then it’s possible she isn’t being fed enough. You need to adjust the syringe feeds to enable her to maintain her weight - if she still loses then you increase the syringing etc. How much (in terms of mls) does she take in a 24 hour period? In a lot of piggies with a complete loss of appetite you could potentially only manage to get a couple of mls in at each sitting meaning you need to feed every hour or two to be able to get enough in to them during a 24 hour period? If you having to force her (which you really shouldn’t do), then it’s better to feed less during each sitting but feed much more often.

Ok - you didn’t mention she has had her teeth checked in your original post. How long ago was the x Ray? Did they actually look into her mouth with tools?
The fact she hasn’t been eating hay means that even if it wasn’t originally a dental problem if could well be now as her teeth aren’t benefiting from the abrasive action so could well have overgrown by now. They need to chew hay constantly to keep the teeth worn down. Pellets simply don’t wear the teeth down as they simply dissolve.
my dad told me that he spoke with the vet she is very experienced and works for exotic animals pet center in Bothell WA they did the xray f ull body and skull last week, based of the x ray she doesn't have any back teeth mollar issues its probably the GI track obstruction either due to inflammation or her guts got twisted somehow but she is not able to walk anymore or even reach to drink water, my dad is crying what should we do any suggestion please.

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Did they do an actual check of her teeth without the X-ray? I don’t know if you can see they’re overgrown by X-ray. Is the vet experienced in treating guinea pigs? As said above if she’s not eating it’s likely teeth. Drooling isn’t a good sign either. Have a look at the experienced vets in the link below. I hope you get her sorted soon.
Veterinarians: Washington - Guinea Lynx Records
my dad told me that he spoke with the vet she is very experienced and works for exotic animals pet center in Bothell WA they did the xray f ull body and skull last week, based of the x ray she doesn't have any back teeth mollar issues its probably the GI track obstruction either due to inflammation or her guts got twisted somehow but she is not able to walk anymore or even reach to drink water, my dad is crying what should we do any suggestion please.

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Have your vets checked for oral thrush (a fungal mouth infection), which can also cause similar symptoms and problem with eating?

I most strongly recommend to please read the guide links and to follow the feeding support advice of @Piggies&buns. Three feeds a day or not enough for a piggy off their food. You chart the daily food intake by weighing your piggy on the kitchen scales every morning first thing and then adjust the amount and times you feed accordingly in order to stabilise the weight as much as possible.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As we have said though, syringe feeding her only three times a day is nowhere near enough. Lack of food intake can mean she will become weak.

A blockage or twisted gut is a very serious issue. You will need to be guided by your vet as to what the long term prospects are. Has your piggy been given pain relief? What meds’ is she on? How long has she been on them? Has there been any improvement or is she just getting worse and losing more weight?

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Last edited:

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Was there an obstruction seen on the X-rays?Your piggy needs to be taken back to the vet as a matter of urgency.

Adi65

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry she passed away today, me and my checked at 6:00 AM