My life, summed up in (yet another) story

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So, yesterday I fell over. Now I am clumsy, I walk into things all the time - I still have a scar on my knee from walking from my bed to the toilet a year ago and I still have no idea what I walked into. I'm good at walking into things, but falling over? Not so much. Last time I properly fell over I broke my ribs. This time nothing was broken bar my pride, my hands/wrists/knees/feet/calves took a knock from the landing but that was it. But I fell over. I don't fall over.

Still, I thought nothing of it til I drank 250ml of cider last night, went to go to the toilet, reached the door and had a sudden severe wave of vertigo. Uh oh. So I put that with the fall from earlier and rang 111 to double check I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. During that phonecall it was noted I'd had a mild change of medication recently, or, to be more precise, I started taking less of something I normally take to see if that helped with something else. If you don't follow that it's fine, it'd make more sense if I said I basically did what a doctor is supposed to do.

So 111 referred me to someone else. Someone else referred me back to 111. 111 referred me to a different someone else. The different someone else decided I needed to speak to a doctor. By now it's about 20:30, this has been going on for a couple of hours, and I've had to explain the same very awkward thing that I'm not mentioning here to 4 different people because none of what I did makes any sense til I explain that. The first phonecall was made at 19:17 so just over an hour beforehand. All I'm basically waiting for at this point is for a doctor to confirm that the medication change could be causing this.

Crickets. Lots of chirping crickets (and moths divebombing my head, again), but no phonecall. I got up twice before midnight. Once to grab my smokes, a lighter and my phone charger, and the second time to grab more tobacco and a can of Coke I'd opened just before the first phonecall that would definitely need drunk at some point. The last time I got up was shortly after midnight, to take my meds. Rang 111 again and said look, I know they're probably busy, but if I fall asleep and they ring and they can't get me and then they send someone out to check on me, I'm not paying for someone to replace the front door. Again. The police have a habit of trying to break through the main door once it takes longer than 30 seconds for them to get a reply from a buzzer.

I finally fell asleep after 2am. I vaguely remember the phone going off, twice, but screw it, I was sleeping. I woke up sometime after 10am feeling like I had the worst hangover in history only to get another phonecall. It's GP out of hours again, and they were sitting in a Doctor car outside my front door.

You couldn't make this up if you tried. Turns out the first phonecall was at 3.40am. Second one was before 6am. Managed to convince him to do the whole thing over the phone, apologising profusely while wondering why I'm apologising because this isn't my fault at all.

Also trying to convince everyone I'm not an alcoholic because the minute the slightest hint of alcohol is involved, it's always because of the drink. I didn't even get to finish that bottle :(

...I don't know, I seem to just attract these situations. What is it about me?!

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh dear, I am sorry :( it sounds like you had an eventful night
One of the staff phoned me after the doc got off the phone going, "Are you alright? What the hell happened?!" I could only laugh. Besides, who in their right might stays awake til stupid o'clock waiting for a phonecall about a medication enquiry? I'm just glad nobody broke the door down this time.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
One of the staff phoned me after the doc got off the phone going, "Are you alright? What the hell happened?!" I could only laugh. Besides, who in their right might stays awake til stupid o'clock waiting for a phonecall about a medication enquiry? I'm just glad nobody broke the door down this time.
I guess at least the staff member was checking you were ok. I’m glad nobody broke the door down

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
you are being led on a merry dance.it is not good you keep being transfered from pillar to post.Do you have a contact number for a nurse/doctor for when you feel unwell.the team should explain to you when they change your meds any side effects that go with it.I'm sorry you have been let down again by the medical experts.i do hope you feel better soon.

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Give it an hour, try ringing again... They might call back at a sensible time tomorrow?! Lol!

Sorry to hear you're having troubles, you never seem to get any luck :(
- I also don't mean to sound harsh, but... Please could you write a book of your life, you could make thousands - the descriptions of your trials and tribulations are normally hilarious (although I realise your reality is far from it), you're a natural storyteller, your posts always leave me waiting for more - you definitely have a way with words. :tu:

Hope you soon feel better and can sort out your meds :wub:

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope you feel better soon, and can get a sensible answer from someone about your meds.
I love the way you tell your stories too, you meet encounter very interesting people (being polite here!).

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry you’re unwell - I suffer from vertigo every now and again and usually can tell it’s coming on as I start falling over when trying to dress etc. It’s not pleasant. If you don’t get anywhere with 111 I’d take it easy and phone your doctor tomorrow morning - you might get more sense out of them at a reasonable time too! If being dizzy is making you feel nauseous, antihistamines will help you cope with that.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
What a night for you (and all involved!). You’re definitely not an alcoholic, you put up with one yapping on at you sometimes of course :whistle:but don't think it rubs off! Think you might be a cokeaholic though!
Hope you feel better soon and no more nasty vertigo, hope meds can be sorted asap too x

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Think you might be a cokeaholic though!
Out of context, that manages to sound even worse!

Also I'm good, I'm just refusing to use stairs til Tuesday. I figure it'll be safer that way lol. I'll phone my GP tomorrow if I absolutely have to but I doubt I will, I'm pretty sure it'll settle itself. I just wasn't expecting such a physical reaction to the change lol.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Out of context, that manages to sound even worse!
Oh god dozy me strikes again :doh: Meant the fizzy drink obviously, sorry mate! :))XD

Hope you feel better :hug: yeah I’m glad I haven’t got stairs with the way my meds make me at times, definitely accident waiting to happen with my clumsy self too!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sending hugs @Lorcan that NHS 111 line is a complete waste of time, I've spent what feels like several years on hold or waiting for a call back from them when my old Mum has run out of meds on a bank holiday weekend... trying to get morphine on a bank holiday is extremely difficult, you might find a doctor to prescribe but then no out of hours chemist has it in stock, or the chemist has it in stock but nobody is authorised to prescribe it, or once there was a doctor and a chemist ready to help but because she lived in Yorkshire then but she was visiting Liverpool we were calling the wrong office... despite it being a national helpline! Best of luck and hope you aren't too wobbly for too long x

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sending hugs @Lorcan that NHS 111 line is a complete waste of time, I've spent what feels like several years on hold or waiting for a call back from them when my old Mum has run out of meds on a bank holiday weekend... trying to get morphine on a bank holiday is extremely difficult, you might find a doctor to prescribe but then no out of hours chemist has it in stock, or the chemist has it in stock but nobody is authorised to prescribe it, or once there was a doctor and a chemist ready to help but because she lived in Yorkshire then but she was visiting Liverpool we were calling the wrong office... despite it being a national helpline! Best of luck and hope you aren't too wobbly for too long x
From experience it's not actually national. Like you can phone from anywhere in the UK but you'll be connected with the "local" office, kind of like when you phone 101 and get your local police service. Besides this wasn't 111s fault. We have to go through 111 to get connected with GP out of hours, THAT'S where the blame is really. They didn't call for nearly 8 hours and then panicked because I wasn't answering the phone...at 4am.

Edit: That's also why it's local. Take our local CMHT services as an example. There's two that cover this area, one in Rochdale and one in Heywood, but it's based on who your GP is. My postcode says I'd be likely covered by Heywood, but the GP says Rochdale. Who I contact out of hours can vary depending on this. Local 111 services would know this but national offices wouldn't, because they can't tailor the advice appropriately for just one town in England compared to the rest of them.

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
*hugs* sorry your poorly and still don't have the answers you need!
111 are pretty useless they told me to get on a bus with a 5month old and 3 year old who'd cut her eye open and it wouldn't strop pouring blood so I couldn't take the pressure off (thankfully daddy left work to take her to be stitched up) yet when I had gastro a doctor literally barged into my house to confirm I was severely dehydrated and needed hospital admission 😳🤦‍♀️ glad they didn't break your door down 🤦‍♀️😳