• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

my mouse needs help; please comment

Kmg6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know this isnt like some Mouse Forum, but this is the only place I know that will actually reply with helpful information. This is Vinnie. She is a female albino mouse. Lately she has been having this loss of hair on the scruff of her neck and feels sort of like dried blood. She doesn't live with any other mice so she couldn't have been bitten. Also, there is this tiny scab-like thing on her ear. I'm currently researching what it could be but I appreciate when people share what they know because I am really concerned about poor Vinnie. Here are some photos.
IMG_20200308_131357.jpgIMG_20200308_131338.jpg

I'm afraid your mouse needs a vet. They will be able to diagnose whatever the issue is. It could be any number of things, from fungal to mites or some kind of skin infection. Each of these things will require a different treatment.

I'm afraid your mouse needs a vet. They will be able to diagnose whatever the issue is. It could be any number of things, from fungal to mites or some kind of skin infection. Each of these things will require a different treatment.
Ok thanks. I'm finding a way to schedule an appointment.. thanks for your insight!

She is gorgeous. 😍 I wish all the best for you and little Vinnie, good luck at the vets please keep us posted on her. 💕

Our local vet says they don't take mice and he doesn't know anyone else who would. :help:

Can you do a google search of vets nearby and have a ring round? Sorry you’re having trouble finding one.

It might also be worth calling a local rodent rescue or the nearest RSPACA/animal welfare organisation.
Maybe one of them will be able to suggest a vet you could try.

Ok i'll check that out.

How is your little Vinnie, sweetie? I haven’t stopped thinking about her.

I'm looking for some 'exotic' animal vet near us. Vinnie isn't getting any worse or any better.. :(

We found a vet last night. It turns out there was some issue with her skin. We had to leave her there until further notice. There is a big chance she won't be coming back... Thanks for thinking about her tho 😢

Oh, sweetheart. 😞 Holding you and Vinnie in my heart, hoping for a better outcome. Keep us updated, honey. 💕

Aw, poor thing! Can they treat her for mites? I had a mouse with a painful skin condition like that who improved dramatically after being treated for mites, even though we couldn't see any on the samples. She was scratching herself raw, though.

Vinnie was scratching herself like crazy too. Thanks for the input. If she's still there, I could ask the vets to treat her for mites. Hopefully she can still be treated since it's been about 3 days now.

I’m almost wondering if it’s a diet thing—most mouse foods have way too much protein that can cause itchy/irritated skin. If the food you were feeding was above 14-15% and the vets can’t find any other cause (mites, fungi, etc), this could be a possible reason.

I would also suggest getting her a friend in the future—female mice thrive off enrichment from other mice just as much as piggies. Of course, I understand if that doesn’t work out now, but it would be a good idea for the future. :)

It's official now... poor sweet vinnie lived a good long year and 2 months. Thank you for trying to help u guys. I still have this little bell thing she used to have on her old playset. it reminds me of her. 😖😢 I loved her so much.

Back