• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

My Neighbour....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
has a log burner now and now all we hear is him chopping wood in his garage or even on our drive!
It is so annoying, chop chop, chain saw, chop, chop... And it likes a dull thump when the sound comes through to our living room.

Anyway today I happen to be in a little bit of a crabby mood and I turned around to the OH and said... I look forward to the day I hear a scream instead of the chopping sound... I'm such an evil person. But what can you do?

Let's hope the lady down the garden complains first or their neighbour on the left!
I can literally feel the vibrations upstairs!

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That sounds awful. We find it bad enough when neighbours have temporarily building work in progress.

Could you not complain about them first?

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh that is annoying. It would do my head in too, and yes I can understand your comment regarding the scream...some people have no awareness at all or they choose to ignore it. :box:

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Pop a complaint in to the council, they'll measure if he's causing noise pollution!

Jess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That sounds awful. We find it bad enough when neighbours have temporarily building work in progress.

Could you not complain about them first?
My OH doesn't want to as the neighbour is quite handy with cars and helps out when there are issues with them.
It makes me mad when he starts filling our bins up! Not like we have our own waste

Pop a complaint in to the council, they'll measure if he's causing noise pollution!
It's stopped now but only tends to be on the weekend he does it. Worse when it's middle of winter.
Will see what happens...

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Yeah, perhaps get a notebook and write down when he does it and for how long, then you have a record for future use.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My OH doesn't want to as the neighbour is quite handy with cars and helps out when there are issues with them.
It makes me mad when he starts filling our bins up! Not like we have our own waste

It's stopped now but only tends to be on the weekend he does it. Worse when it's middle of winter.
Will see what happens...
Oo, boo. Tricky situation. I hope someone else beats you to it.

Wigwig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Will see what happens...
He puts his rubbish in your bins? That is illegal, you are only allowed to put your waste in your own bins.

Jess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:hb::hb:
He puts his rubbish in your bins? That is illegal, you are only allowed to put your waste in your own bins.
Yep he fills his bins quicker and apparently having 3 offspring do that. Not like I have 7 piggies and they produce waste too.
Nothing I can. I had at him when he put an extrator fan in our silver bin. said they don't check it anyway. I was so annoyed. :hb:

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you keep your bins somewhere he can't access them? That would annoy the hell out of me. Let's just hope he's putting all this fresh wood into his burner. You're supposed to dry it out for a couple of years and the sap in fresh wood will make a nice mess of the burner and soon take the novelty off

Jess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can you keep your bins somewhere he can't access them? That would annoy the hell out of me. Let's just hope he's putting all this fresh wood into his burner. You're supposed to dry it out for a couple of years and the sap in fresh wood will make a nice mess of the burner and soon take the novelty off
He asked for some pallets from my OHs work but he's constantly chopping something.
The recycling bin goes in the garage and it comes out the night before, nowhere to put the general bin though :( stays at the front

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh blimey, my friend at work now has this situation. Her neighbour has started chopping wood on the fireplace at midnight, not good...

katanamoon

Photo Competition Winner
Reaction score
What a pain in the bum! You could always go for the guilt trip approach like our neighbours...

When we first moved into our own house my husband started networking it so that there are plugs in every room to get internet (for TVs etc). This meant cutting through the plasterboard to run cables up and down the walls and, as you can imagine, it was quite noisy! He was working hard a little later than usual to finish off the last bit and we looked downstairs at some point to see a note through the letterbox that was along the lines of "We are really sorry to make a fuss as we know you must want to get your new house up together as soon as possible, but the noise from the work you're doing is travelling through our walls and we have young children who go to bed early". We felt awful, but it hasn't affected our relationship with them (I don't think!)

Status
Not open for further replies.