My New "Drying Off" Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Because my boys live outside they obviously have to be bone dry before they can go back to their hutches after having a bath (i find using a hair dryer on them a bit stressful for them & me :().
I decided i needed somewhere safe in the house where they could dry off themselves. I have a pet carrier but it's not very big then i found this for sale in the local paper for £20.
I'd hate to think someones piggy or bunny was in it ouside but for what i need it for it's ideal. I've put vetbed on the floor, they have food, hay and water and it's not too bad a size for a pair of piggies.
It's situated on top of a high set of drawers in our computer room so they're safely out of the way of the dogs.
Here's Wallace & Wilbur - the first lodgers

Aww while i've been posting they've gone to sleep - it's obviously a hit! 2funny

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Lovely! :)

I use the hair dryer on my lot - warm, slow setting! They don't seem particularly bothered by it! :)

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
kellyandpiggies said:
Lovely! :)

I use the hair dryer on my lot - warm, slow setting! They don't seem particularly bothered by it! :)
Not one of mine really like it, more suffer it but it overheats quickly and then shuts off - it takes me approx 2 - 3 hours, more sometimes to bath and dry 2 piggies.I have the dogs running round because they follow me EVERYWHERE (they're under the desk as i type) sopping towels all over the bedroom floor, piggies, poops oh you can imagine so to save myself the stress i got my "drying off hutch" ;D ;D

SweetEdge

Reaction score
haha thats a really good idea... I usually trim their hair a bit so they arent walking on it, and then give them the bath.. then like Kelly, use a hair dryer on the low, warm setting... It really depends what mood they are in and i'm in... Over the hot weather, I didnt really bother using a hair dryer, and put them in their run in the sun, and within an hour they were bone dry! hehe

The inside hutch is a really good idea though, now the nights are drawing in and its getting cooler ;)

x

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's a good idea Niki :) As you say scary though that someone's used that for their bunny :(

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
kayjay said:
That's a good idea Niki :) As you say scary though that someone's used that for their bunny :(
Isn't it just.
The woman said they'd had a baby bunny in it but it died after 2 weeks. If her story's true then no wonder, it's all plastic except for the back and sides which are 5mm plywood. The thing that makes me wonder if it is true are the pee stains on the plastic - surely there wouldn't be any staining after only 2 weeks?
Anyhows i took it all apart, scrubbed each bit with warm water, w.u. liquid and bleach let it dry naturally, thoroughly disinfected it with genie, put it back together after it had dried again and disinfected it again.
I'm going to keep 'them in overnight as they're slightly damp but they're happy enough munching.
It also gives me a chance to keep an eye on them and have a cuddle ;D ;D

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I've got a special dog hairdryer where it stands on its own, so both my hands are free to shuffe their coats about to dry them quicker they love it and its quite which I'm sure helps, I always trim the longer coats before washing as well

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
michellemuffin said:
I've got a special dog hairdryer where it stands on its own, so both my hands are free to shuffe their coats about to dry them quicker they love it and its quite which I'm sure helps, I always trim the longer coats before washing as well
That's a really good idea! I've seen those when i have Elmer (my lhasa clipped) where do you get them from? Or would one of those little heater/blower things do the same job? I'm sure the noise has something to do with it so that would be much better for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.