• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My parents won't allow me to take my piggy to the vet

Megamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my piggies has a little bald, crusty spot on her nose and my unbelievably ignorant parents think it's nothing and they won't let me take her to the vet, what do I do? My parents are very stubborn, ignorant people who won't believe a lot of the stuff I tell them about the guinea pigs' health

One of my piggies has a little bald, crusty spot on her nose and my unbelievably ignorant parents think it's nothing and they won't let me take her to the vet, what do I do? My parents are very stubborn, ignorant people who won't believe a lot of the stuff I tell them about the guinea pigs' health
What a shame :(
Are you under 18? If so, you can let them know that by withholding veterinary care as the responsible adult they are breaking the law as well as the Animal Welfare Act 2006!

@Merrypigs Sanctuary is right; if you are under 18 they are legally responsible for your guinea pig.
Not sure if the law is the same in Romania, where the OP lives?

It could be ringworm, in which case there is a risk that it spreads to @Megamon and others in her family if it isn't properly treated soon ...

Not sure if the law is the same in Romania, where the OP lives?

It could be ringworm, in which case there is a risk that it spreads to @Megamon and others in her family if it isn't properly treated soon ...
Didn’t know that’s where OP was from, thanks for clearing that up @Qualcast&Flymo :)
Also true, strict hygiene is important here @Megamon as if it is a fungal infection you and your family could well catch it!

it sounds like ringworm, which is the most infective and transmittable thing - it is an aggressive fungal skin infection that can also be caught and transmitted to other pets and humans.

Please have a read of these guides here. they tell you exactly what you need to do. Good hygiene is ABSOLUTELY vital or you'll never really get rid of it as invisible spores can stay alive for up to 18 months and can cause re-infection.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness) (contains a chapter on ringworm)
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures - please read to make sure that you don't catch it and you can get on top of it!
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus

If you are a minor, your parents are legally responsible for your pets, and that includes any necessary vet care. Please be aware that we can make educated guesses and give you tips for treatment, but we cannot replace a vet visit and a hands-on diagnosis. None of us is qualified anyway!

I’m so sorry that your parents aren’t helping you! I hope you find the advice given here useful. Will any other family member help you with this? I hope you get it sorted soon xx
Unfortunately I'm pretty distant from other family members aside from my aunt and grandma so no-one else can really help me, but all the advice here is useful and I'll try to convince my parents somehow.

Is there any jobs you could do for your parents, family or neighbours? Babysitting, washing cars etc So you could save up for treatment or a little Saturday job? This would give you a little independence financially. I’m so sorry for your situation x

I would mention it might be ringworm and then show them lots of nice pictures of how that looks in humans (internet is full of them) when it spreads. It might not be ringworm of course but if it is...believe me the sooner it’s treated the easier it is to overcome.

A small checkup at the vets should not be overly expensive.

I would mention it might be ringworm and then show them lots of nice pictures of how that looks in humans (internet is full of them) when it spreads. It might not be ringworm of course but if it is...believe me the sooner it’s treated the easier it is to overcome.

A small checkup at the vets should not be overly expensive.

My parents agreed to take her to the vet but the vet's not available until friday and this is the only vet I trust that's close to me. Is there anything I can do to help my piggy until the vet trip? That little bald spot has already grown, it's twice the size now.

Have you tried to explain to the vet that it is a suspected fungal outbreak/possible ringworm and your piggy needs to be treated as soon as possible as an emergency?

Have you tried to explain to the vet that it is a suspected fungal outbreak/possible ringworm and your piggy needs to be treated as soon as possible as an emergency?
She said she's not even in town until friday.

So glad your parents agreed to take your piggy to the vet!
It is best to not do anything to try to treat it now, in case that makes diagnosis harder when the vet sees her on Friday.
It would probably be a good idea to start taking precautions in case it is ringworm, to avoid spreading it. This thread talks about what precautions to take etc : Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Best of luck with the vet visit!

Back