• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My peppa is paralysed help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself I'm Lea-Anne and I have two guinea pig girls who I love so much but one of them is sick and the other is begining to get stressed from peppa being not well and I'm heartbroken and don't know whst else to do to help her.. They are both very healthy and never had any problems they have a huge cage , get plenty of veg and water then last week I woke up in morning fed them and they were fine but came home that day and I noticed straight away peppa was sitting funny and didn't get up to come see me, I then moved her and noticed her back legs were not functioning so I took her to vet straight away and he checked and didn't think anything was broke but if still as poor to take her back for xray so next day I did , her xray was fine nothing broken and he said maybe sprained them to keep eye on her. But I noticed she was dragging them worse and I realised she is paralysed at back end right side being worse as she started wetting herself.. It'sme her every day for pain killer and anti flammitry jag as I think keeping her with me is less stressfull to her but I can hear her whimper and she is not getting any better.. I cry everytime I see her as I dint want her suffering but I really can't loose her and I will do and spend any amount I need to for vet bill but I can't find a vet that knows what to do for her and now my other guinea is lonely as I was told to seperate them to give peppa space.. Please anyone give me some advice as I need to help her more xx

awwww, poor little thing! this must be so awful, i dont know waht to say but I'm sure there will be somone who can give advice. can * put the cages side by side so they can still see each other and maybe the other wont fret as much!:( sending lots of hugs and healing vibes.

Hi Le-anne,

So sorry to hear about Peppa, is there any way you can say where you are so people can maybe recommend a vet for you?

Fingers crossed for you x

Fingers crossed for you. Dont think this is much help be we had this happen when we first started keeping piggies about 16 years ago and it was a trapped nerve. I was only young at the time but i remember the vet giving and injection and he got better.
Sending you and your piggie lots of hugs. Good luck

I'm wondering if a steroid anti inflammatory injection may help a bit?

which area are you in?

is there any way she could have fell or been dropped at all?
ie another family member?

does she have a head tilt at all?

with there been no breaks its poss with anti inflammatory injections and poss steroid injections and rest she will heal !

also keep them together as its found guinea pigs housed with other guinea pigs have a better chance of pulling through than a guinea pig on its own!

Last edited:
O no what a shame :(

Personally I wouldn't seperate them was that the vets advice?

I had a rabbit this happened to but that was due to e.cuniculi which can effect guinea pigs.

I know paralysis can be due to a stroke but I am no expert.

Really hope you are the pigs are ok x

Hi! Wlecome to the forum.

I am very sorry about your upset. If you feel that a separation is better, then please do so as long as you can keep them side by side. Please do a formal reintroduction on neutral ground afterwards when Peppa has hopefully recovered.

Here is a link to a thread that deals with a similar problem. I hope that can give you ideas and avenues to pursue:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50077

Hi

At this stage don't worry to much as Paralysis is most often the result of bruising to the spine resulting from as little as a playful jump or a fight between cage mates.

If the x-rays show all is fine then bruising is the most likely option and if it is she will regain full mobility in time.

What is important is that the patient is looked after whilst you are waiting for the use of her legs to return.

Keeping her underneath dry and free from urine is most important and you might even need to resulting in covering her underneath with Sudocream to stop the urine scolding her. You will also need to massage her back legs to stop muscle wastage.

This can also be a result of either not enough VitC or too much VitD but in your case I doubt it that that is her problem.

Hope this has been of help to you

Regards

SGP

Welcome to the forum Lea-Anne. I run the Helpline daleksarah pointed you to. :)

Even if a Vit C deficiency seems unlikely given her diet, I would recommend dosing with 100mg Vit C daily until she is back on her feet. I use Tesco Chewable Vit C tablets 200mg, and give half a tablet daily.

What bedding is she on? I would highly recommend Vetbed, which will wick all moisture away from her body and go some way to keeping her dry - preventing her getting soaked and thus ending up with urine scald.

I also second others questions on whereabouts you are, someone may know of a good vet who can help. Are you able to travel if needs be?

I have recently had a pig with a mobility problem, although her circumstances and condition was different to what you describe, the basic therapies could be potentially helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back