• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My persistance paid off! A happy ending story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

some of you may have seen my previous threads. About 2 months ago my sow Ginger had a lump removed and although she appeared to recover from the op OK, but about 2 weeks later she started going downhill and stopped eating.

To this date I am unsure if this was connected to the op or what caused this. We had numerous vet visits (with different and highly GP savvy vets) and also received some advise from Laura (Laura CC4 on here, thanks Laura) and no-one was able to tell us what was wrong with Ginger.

In the 3rd week after the op she stopped eating and drinking all together which meant syringe feeding 4-5 times a days with critical care, daily weighing whilst all at the same time giving many meds to try and attack the possible cause on several fronts (Rymadil, Zantac, daktaryn gel, DIDA and Infacol!).
Ginger failed to eat anything for almost 2 months and I have to admit that the intensive care regime took it's toll on me when coupled with full time job etc.. and at times I really didn't not what to do for the best.

I am sure many owners will emphasise with this feeling but when a piggy is that poorly for a long time you sometimes feel guilty that you are making them carry on and you worry of this could be cruel in some ways. It's just such a fine line really but something inside me I knew that Ginger was not ready to give up.

To make matters worse we had to go away for a week right in the middle of all of this. At that point I thought that this might be the end of the road for Ginger as I struggled to find someone who would be willing to take her on and care for her while we were away. It's quite a lot to ask of anyone really. Thankfully our pet sitters were absolute gems and agreed to have a crash course in GP care something for which I will always be thankful :)

I came back from a week away and although Ginger had lost some weight, she was still alive which is more that i had expected if i am completely honest.

and then... about a week ago, she decided to start eating again! For no apparent reason! She's now almost completely off the meds, fully off the Critical Care and she is putting weight on every day.
I have absolutely no idea what was wrong with her all of this time or why she is suddenly better, she's my little Christmas miracle!

All of the sudden all the pain, tiredness and heartache have been through in the last 2 months seem 100% worth it. I am so glad I didn't give up on her despite most people around me thinking I was completely bonkers for putting so much effort (and money) into keeping her alive.

I keep my fingers crossed that she continues improving especially as she has just started showing symptoms of ovarian cysts (again i am unsure if this could be connected) so I know we are not out of the water yet but things are no longer critical.

Anyway sorry for the long message. I just wanted to give a story with a happy ending and say that when it comes to piggies it is worth following your instincts.
So many people would have given up on her but I am so glad I didn’t and her feeling better is the best Christmas present I have ever had!

Lx

vabh57

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so happy for you and for Ginger. What great credit to you for your perseverence.
Wishing you both a very happy New Year.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
what a lovely happy ending, I'm so glad for you and Ginger, we need to see piccies of her now shes recovered!

so happy for you :)

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks. I will take some pics of her when she is out for floor time later

x

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwww I am so happy for you and Ginger and cant wait to see some new piccies :)
x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
AWWW - bestest Christmas present imagineable courtesy of Ginger!

I am so glad that she's pulled through and has discovered life again!

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Congratulations! x We are so happy for you! Do you have the pictures?

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwww congratulations, such fab news :)) Cant wait for pigtures :))

Status
Not open for further replies.