My pig doesn't like veg!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My new rescue pig Colin is about 1 year old. I don't think he was fed very much veg before as he doesn't seem interested in eating it. He eats a lot of hay (and newspaper :D) and eats his dried food and drinks a lot (my first piggie ever to actually drink out of the bottle!) but won't touch carrots, cabbage, celery etc.

Only things he has nibbled at are bits of cucumber and apple. Any ideas to tempt him? Worried he might not get enough vit c. The dried food he is on is PAH nuggets. Have kept him on that so far.

My other boys are the complete opposite and guzzle everything within 5 mins! :D :D :D

Reaction score
when we got Jovi a few weeks ago I posted on here because she too ran from veggies and ate the girls hair instead, maybe they were both not fed veggies and did'nt know what to do with them, we kept tempting her with very very thin slices of carrot which got her interested she now is one of the first to the veggies, and is not eating the girls hair as much, I believe it was because she had'nt ever had them before, try very thin slices of food and offer them to to him while cuddling she associated food with cuddles in the end,

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
aw bless. i will do that. i need a cuddle from my boys tonight because I'm still wound up about the car mirror thing!

Reaction score
or try taking the dry food out for a bit - if he gets hungry he will start eating whats there, and eventually (hopefully) get a taste for the healthy stuff :) mind you, some piggies are very picky though - while most like carrot and cucumber, there are some who dont touch that! some like more exquisite stuff like strawberries, bananas and the likes.

is he sitting with the others right now? because usually the greed for food makes them try ANYTHING - if they see other piggies eating it, whatever it is, they just cant let it happen that they might eat it all themselves ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.