• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My pig is making strange noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there

I just wondering if anybody had any advice for me... a few months ago i lost one of my pigs Dave... he kept making a strange noise and arching his back like he was in pain.
Ive had pigs all my life but i have never heard one make this noise before, ive had a pig before that had bladder stones and she didnt make this kind of noise.
He was still eating and drinking and seemed fine apart from randomly making this noise then one day he couldnt really walk, i took him to the vets and the vet couldnt really seem to find anything wrong with him, so gave him a pain killer. Later that eve he passed away. :(

Now he cage mate (which is his brother) has started making the same noise and arching his back. He seems fine in himself and still eating and drinking the normal amount for him.
The only think i can think of is it could possibly be a UTI..

Just wondered if anyone else has had this before and what it could be?
I will take him to the vets, but i dont hold out much hope as the vet i saw didnt really know what was wrong with dave.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :) thanks x

Its an odd noise to discribe... its not a high pitched sound like my one of my other guineas made when she had a bladder stone. Its a deep kind of heaving noise.
I will try and film him.

Ive just cleaned his bedding and poops and wee all look fine, ive put him on a white towel just so i can see if he is passing any blood in his urine. i couldnt see any on the newspaper.
He is munching on hay atm.

i think you may have to take him to the vets, if it is a uti the sooner the better.

Is his nose wet or his eyes weepy or anything? Maybe you could call the vet and ask their advice.

What Dave seems to have suffered from sounds suspiciously like a bladder stone that then got stuck in the ureter. He must have been in agony, poor boy.

It sounds like your other piggy could have urinary tract infection or a bladder stone, too. But the sooner you get him seen, the better. Have you got access to a vet that has experience with exotics (as which guinea pigs are classed)?

You may not necessarily see blood in the urine for it to be present and not every reddish pee needs to contain blood. If the symptoms don't go away with treatment, an x-ray may be indicated to check for bladder stones.

If you want to get a urine sample for the vet, sit him on a plastic surface and wait - it can take half or even hour. You may have more success after a nice bit of food. Suck up the pee samples (preferably several) with a syringe, place the syringe into a freezer bag and keep in the fridge until it is time to go to the vets.

http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Thanks everyone.. i did kinda expect it was **** something like that.
I will get him to the vets tomorrow and ask for a diff vet.

Has anyone here had success with having a stone removed from a pig?
My girl died at the vets the next day after the op :(
He is a rescue pig and is about 4 years old

I have had a piggy who has made it through two bladder stone ops. A lot of it depends on where the stone is located and how good your vets are.

I am sorry for your losses.

Our piggie's been making this sound and arching his back when pooping especially, because he had bladder lining inflammation (not to confuse with UTI) and a poop pellet was pressing on his bladder when passing it. He had problems with excess calcium as we didn't know at the time that guinea pigs have to have low-calcium mineral water (like Teeside or Dutchy originals). I guess this might lead to bladder stones in the long run, it's possible your piggies have it, especially if you give them wrong type of water. In our case the stones didn't form yet, we put him on low calcium water and he's fine now.

good luck with your little one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back