• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

my piggies have lost weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michele

Weighed my piggies last night and they have both lost weight.

jacques is now 1100g lost 125g since 1st feb
freddie is now 1170g lost 136g since 1st feb

I think they are working off their food now they have a much larger run. this would be the reason?

Just going to keep an eye on them and weigh them each week cos they seem to be leaving a lot of food as well. I feed them a big rabbit bowl of food when they go to bed and its usually fairly empty. I think its due to me feeding them constantly during the day since i got their new run. I must stop given them bits here and there. I have sat with them lasy night and today and they are fine. eating away popcorning everyway. I think cos they have both lost weight and similar wieght i'm putting it down to the run. what does everyone else think?

cos they have a bigger run, could it be that they are just exercising more as they have more room to run and jump around?

Piggies can lose weight the older they get, but if they are eating fine then I would say they sound ok and it's not really a problem.

[bKelly xx[/b]

Thats what I thought. They have gone from a apex run being in it 80% of the time to a 4ft by 3 ft run being in it 100% of the time. They are 3 years and 7 months now. so middle aged. when are they classed as old piggies 4 or 5 years?

about 4- 4 and a half they are oldies... their average lifespan these days are for them to be about 5/6
But you're eldest is fine as it's more to do with the amount of exercise at the mo!

The run sounds like the perfect reason Mrs Mod!

Yup, sounds like it's the run ;) Must be enjoying themselfs in it, hehe!

I don't like hearing about piggies losing weight after what happened with Dr. It sounds OK as they are eating, but perhaps a visit to the vet to have their teeth checked?

I recently lost a pig who lost weight very quickly so i'd say be extra careful with the monitoring - maybe twice weekly weigh ins just to see if it's still going down.

Thanks all for the advise. I do think its the run especially as they both lost roughly the same amount of weight. its very big. I will do their weight twice a week. Going to do it tonight so will put the results on the fourm

they are both good weights too so no real cause for concern but better safe than sorry - my pig lost half his body weight in 3 days :'( when he got sick - by the time we got treatment it was too late :'( I was weighing my pigs every couple of weeks so now i've gone to weekly weighs for the 2 healthy ones and twice weekly for my eldery sow who has kidney problems (and is on treatment) as she is pretty skinny due to the kidney probs.

I'm so sorry about your piggy. Sounds terrible. I will let oyu all know how much they weigh later.

Piggiewiggy said:
Weighed my piggies last night and they have both lost weight.

jacques is now 1100g lost 125g since 1st feb
freddie is now 1170g lost 136g since 1st feb

I think they are working off their food now they have a much larger run. this would be the reason?

Just going to keep an eye on them and weigh them each week cos they seem to be leaving a lot of food as well. I feed them a big rabbit bowl of food when they go to bed and its usually fairly empty. I think its due to me feeding them constantly during the day since i got their new run. I must stop given them bits here and there. I have sat with them lasy night and today and they are fine. eating away popcorning everyway. I think cos they have both lost weight and similar wieght i'm putting it down to the run. what does everyone else think?

Jacques today weighs 1180 up by 80grams in 1 week (only 45 grams off her weight in feb)
Freddie today weighs 1270 up by 100grams in 1 week (only 45 grams off her weight in feb)

I'm happy they are up in wieght. its not as if they are small piggies anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back