My piggies house

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatsCavies

Here's where my pigs live....along with the degus and budgie. The shed was originally wooden but was falling down so we pulled it down and built a new brick one. 2 thirds of the building is a workshop with the other third the pig shed.

The entrance, complete with real front door :D

looking in through the door

the pigs live on one side.....

the degus and budgie on the other

a 6' flouro light and the little fan that plugs into a bayonet light bulb socket

an industrial extractor fan built into the side wall

G

gothchick1515

Cool! everyone has such funky housing! i musnt let Harry or Zub see it they will sulk lol What does a degus look like ive heard of them but never seen one what are they like? how many piggies do you have? x

K

KatsCavies

Yeah, they are really nosey and curious and become really tame if handled often :)

Kat

G

gothchick1515

Awww cool, ive never seen them before the look a little like chincillas x

Reaction score
does any one else find their florescent bulbs give off too much heat in the summer? mine have to be switched off,
nice set up, we are quite inventive when it comes to our pigs are'nt we?

G

gothchick1515

Michelle and Kat do you have problems with mice at all? we live by a railway so its a nightmare in our shed and in our house! i hate them!

K

KatsCavies

Yep, unfortunately I do have a problem with mice >:(. I keep putting bait down and have picked up a few dead bodies as a result and even caught them live and killed them. I do try and make sure I don't drop food on the floor and leave anything edible with reach of them. I don't have a big problem with them, there are only a few but they breed like lightning so I have to kill as many as possible.

I don't use my flouro light during the day as the shed is plenty light enough without. I only use it at night when I go down late when its dark to check the water bottles.

M

Michele

Touch wood I dont have a problem with mice in my garage.

Great shed! Great set up there.

So cool.

I would love to totally convert the garage to a piggy palace but hubby says its a waste of a double garage.

Michele

G

gothchick1515

Its a nightmare with mice for us! we have traps and poisin but by doing that the rabbits cant play in their shed! some even get into the cages in the house! harry just watches them walking past him Zubin goes mad and sqeuls for me hhe x

Reaction score
if I know i have a mouse my shed is totally gutted everything comes out and I make sure the damn pest is gone, a few months ago I had the boys shed cleaned out it took me all day but the little mouse was under the corrulux, the last thing for me to lift, little blighter run for its life when it was lifted think everyone screamed, including the mouse, the smart ass got wise to the mouse friendly trap, I put down, I could'nt kill them,
we are quite lucky as we live opposite Brading downs and have fields behind us, so really I'm lucky not to have more in the sheds, the dog food and pigs food are all kept in lidded dustbins, and I have to climb over a mesh fence across the bottom of the shed doors to keep them out so dont know how the houdini got in,

G

gothchick1515

You have to kill them if you find one because they will always find there way back its sad but its got to be done, u see my dad patrolling the shed with a tennis racket, my sis loves animals so much she crys if she sees one because she knows its fate bless her, i hate them1 x

K

KatsCavies

Yep, you have to kill them. If you catch them and let them go you would have to release them miles away otherwise they will just come back. My shed is brick and has foundations 2foot into the ground and the door is always kept shut but the little beggers managed to get in somehow. I just keep putting bait down, they will wise up to traps but they will never resist a pot of food/bait sat within easy reach of them ;D

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.