• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

My sisters gerbils have just had babies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolaj36

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
can anyone help? She bought 2 gerbils from a pet shop around 2 months ago, and this morning one of them gave birth. She had no idea.

Does anyone know, should the father be removed? She doesn't want more babies, but then does that mean he would have to be alone? Or could he go back at a later date?

Whats the best way to care for the babies?

And how soon could the female become pregnant again?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just been a total shock.

Nicola x

Plebob

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My understanding is that the male will mate again within minutes of the female giving birth so should be removed. Sorry, can't help with the care as I've never had gerbil pups.

aalur

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hey, you need to take the dad away as he MAY eat some of them if he thinks the litters too big.
She can get pregnant literally hours after giving birth.
The dad can be put with a male baby after a while so he's not alone.
xx

Nicolaj36

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for the help :)

She thinks it must have happened last night so there is a good chance the female will already be pregnant.

She is going to find out as much as possible over the next few days as she doesn't want the male to be alone for long, so will need to read up on bonding and such, like how many female pups can stay with mum, and how many can be bonded with dad. I read it is one with each, would this be correct?

As for the next potential litter, she has no idea what to do with them yet. :(

Emmiiee

Reaction score
you must not handle them! for like a week or so! the mum will eat them if she feels threatend that you are going to take them! in theory you shouldn't even disturb the nest! x

Status
Not open for further replies.