My Texel needs a bath and a friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Reaction score
I have a Texel guinea pig that was handed into my rescue this week. She is only 4 months old and is not a happy piggy. I took her to work today as I work at a vets. She stays in one spot all the while so she is laying in her wee. Her fur is starting to stain. The vet said that she needs a friend and that will help her move about more. Tomorrow I will be giving her a bath, at the mo she is in an indoor cage as with her smelling of wee I dont want the flys round her. I have only one other rescue in at the moment and they both came from the same home. The owners said that the other gp picked on her, but they where in a small cage. I dont know if to try and put her in a big out door huntch with the other gp and see how they get on. I have 3 gps of my own father,mother and daughter. Should I put her in with them as if this works out I will keep her. I cant see my gps hurting her as they are not that way.

S

snugglypig

I have always introduced guinea's in an outdoor run, touchwood I haven't had any problems whether the grass takes their minds off of things I don't know, but it does work for me.

also giving baths before can help.

I also find if the cage is big enough, give each pig somewhere to sleep so they have their own space, extra feed bowl and Water bottle lessens the squabbling.

Good luck and I hope they settle
keep us posted

karen

Mary

Reaction score
Thanks Karen I will let you know how I get on later!

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
Good luck Mary- a friend definately helps even the lazies or most nervous pig get moving. I cant really advise about pairing up sows or groups of sows as I havent done it other than to say of course you wll need a very large cage for 4 piggys. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.