• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My two degus had a fight 😞

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Please send lots of healing thoughts and vibes to my two degus, Bobby and Geoff.

It is currently degu breeding season until early Spring so the hormones in degus both male and female are currently raging :(

Bobby and Geoff have the odd scuffle but they had a full blown fight yesterday :( My husband managed to split them up wearing gloves and we separated them for 20 minutes (you’re not meant to separate for long otherwise you have to start with the bonding process) to let them calm down. We then put them back together. There was some teeth chattering but they soon settled back down together.

I have cleaned their bite wounds but will have to take them to the vet if they become infected :(

They have been fine overnight (I’ve been up and down checking on them) and they were snuggled up in bed together this morning but I’m so hoping we don’t have a repeat performance and have to separate permanently as they will both be sad and we don’t have the space for another cage so hubby has said one would have to go up for adoption which I couldn’t bare as I love them both so much :(

Any healing vibes and thoughts would be much appreciated

This sounds just like shadow and casper my gerbils ( casper now gone to rainbow bridge) turns out casper was ill because he died not too long after from something internally wrong. Not the fight wounds. I know these animals can fight if one has an illnesses, that gerbil will lose dominant position.

But as you said its the breeding season. Do you make sure they still have scent in their cage after clean outs? Just ideas, I can bet you know more than me cuz I don't have degus lol.

But no, I wish them peace. If they are anything like gerbils, they heal superb fast and without antibiotic. But just keep an eye, which you obviously will.

Casper left his mark behind with a big scar across shadows face. Make him look evil, it's not nice but it reminds me of casper when I see it

This sounds just like shadow and casper my gerbils ( casper now gone to rainbow bridge) turns out casper was ill because he died not too long after from something internally wrong. Not the fight wounds. I know these animals can fight if one has an illnesses, that gerbil will lose dominant position.

But as you said its the breeding season. Do you make sure they still have scent in their cage after clean outs? Just ideas, I can bet you know more than me cuz I don't have degus lol.

But no, I wish them peace. If they are anything like gerbils, they heal superb fast and without antibiotic. But just keep an eye, which you obviously will.

Casper left his mark behind with a big scar across shadows face. Make him look evil, it's not nice but it reminds me of casper when I see it

Thank you. I’m so stressed out by them. They seem fine today and are back to cuddling up together but I no how things turned out for Casper and Shadow :( I’m pretty certain though that none of them are Ill as they’re still so young but I’ll keep an eye out.

Geoff has a wound on his nose and Bobby a wound to his ear.

Bloody degu breeding season, I’ll be on tenterhooks now until Spring as like with young male piggies going through the teenage phase, this is the time when degus can fall out :(

I know, Shadow and casper would cuddle together straight after and then 2 or 3 months later they had a worse fight. I felt guilty putting them back together. Hopefully yours will stay buddies now. I'm sure mine thought because of casper being ill, he was dominant and then shadow seen the opportunity and went for it, and then casper didn't back down. The animal world is crazy isn't it. 😕

Anyway I'm comparing degus to gerbils and its not right.. You know what you're doing

I had no idea about degu beeeding season so I’m sorry that this is going to be a bumpy time for you and these little fellows. Hope they continue to enjoy each other’s company.

I know nothing about degu's but am sending love, and hugs and healing vibes. Hope they settle down quickly.

I know, Shadow and casper would cuddle together straight after and then 2 or 3 months later they had a worse fight. I felt guilty putting them back together. Hopefully yours will stay buddies now. I'm sure mine thought because of casper being ill, he was dominant and then shadow seen the opportunity and went for it, and then casper didn't back down. The animal world is crazy isn't it. 😕

Anyway I'm comparing degus to gerbils and its not right.. You know what you're doing

Thank you. Yes; they’re not the same but it’s still stressful. I can remember what happened to Casper and Shadow and I really can’t bear the thought having to split them :(

Thank you. Yes; they’re not the same but it’s still stressful. I can remember what happened to Casper and Shadow and I really can’t bear the thought having to split them :(
If it comes to it, I'm sure you can diy a cage side by side, I actually had to split my two across the room

Thank you everyone. I’ve given their wounds another bathe and they’re look good. I’m on tender hooks especially when I hear a noise from the cage.

degus are very much like guinea pigs. They will teeth chatter when annoyed at each other and puff up when they’re about to fight :(

Thank you everyone. I’ve given their wounds another bathe and they’re look good. I’m on tender hooks especially when I hear a noise from the cage.

degus are very much like guinea pigs. They will teeth chatter when annoyed at each other and puff up when they’re about to fight :(
Have you got two of everything. Watter bottle, food dish, house, ledges

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you that it was a one off blip and they won’t do it again

Aw, they look like butter wouldn’t melt! Let’s hope their fallout was a one off x

Back