My two new Chinchillas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, this a bit of a long story...

On netmums, someone advertised two chinchillas for sale, £100 for two with cage, which at pet shop prices is cheap. I inquired and she said she had a new baby and no longer had time for them :( I hestitated as got loads on at the moment money wise. The day after she emailed me and said I could have them for £50, I have since seen she originally advertised on preloved for £150.

So anyway on sunday she sent me photos, their cage was shocking small for two active chinchillas 8...

I said I'd go to see them in the morning (monday) The cage looked even smaller in real life. It has a wire bottom too :(

She hadn't even bothered to give them names!

So, yes you guessed it lol I couldn't just leave them there. chinchillas can live upto 20 years and the thought of someone else buying them and keeping them in that cage forever was heartbreaking, they are only 3 :(

So they are now here and seem very calm and settled, they are both girls, still in that cage at the moment but will be having a new one soon and will have loads of free range time!

Here's them in their tiny cage :(

HPIM8213.jpg

HPIM8393.jpg

HPIM8397.jpg

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They are gorgeous, am so glad you took them in. That cage does look small but a least they will have a wonderful new life with you. I would love some chinchillas. I love degus too, OH held one in P@H the other day and about an hour later we noticed it had weed on him lol.

Have you decided on any names?

Reaction score
Well as they are grey and white I thought of Snowball and Storm ! :))

But the kids have other ideas, my daughter, age 6 wants them to be Megan and Sophie ( the names of two of her friends at school! )

We'll see, i usually decide after having them for a few days :)

Tomorrow I'm going to give their cage a good clean as she obviously hadn't cleaned it properly for a while :(

angelwitch

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
they are so lovely!
glad they have found their way to you :)

Lisajazz

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL!

One day i'd like some chinchillas, they seem so sweet.

Well done taking them

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ahh, bless them. That cage looks tiny for 2 chinchillas, let alone one. I'm glad you've taken them in now. I'm sure they'll be much happier with you :)

Reaction score
put some lino or correx or cardboard on the mesh floor until you can get a new cage x

Yes I'm going to after gving it a good clean out , its filthy! :(

I asked her how often she gave them a dust bath, she sort of mumbled , 'well you 'should' do them every day, but they make a mess' :(

When I put the bath in they literally jumped into it, :( they must have been desperate to bath themselves poor mites :(

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww such a sad story,glad they have a happy ending though :) I love the snowball and storm names too they're very pretty chinchillas :) hope you keep us updated on their story they are just so sweet x)

Reaction score
Awww what gorgeous chinnies :)) Id love some chinnies... but i think its the nocturnal part that puts me off.. ive had hamsters and that put me off with them... Well done for saving them xx>>>

Are you going to be keeping their cage? or buying a new one?

Esther x

Reaction score
Awww what gorgeous chinnies :)) Id love some chinnies... but i think its the nocturnal part that puts me off.. ive had hamsters and that put me off with them... Well done for saving them xx>>>

Are you going to be keeping their cage? or buying a new one?

Esther x

They are not nocturnal as hamsters are , they are most active at dusk and dawn, referred to as 'crepuscular' they tend to have a lot of naps during the day, waking in between :)

Yes I will be getting a new cage, but will have to save up first I've got my eye on this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/100_cm_cages/137454

or this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/chinchilla_cages/95925

Was going to make one using C&C's but apparently they are not suitable.

Reaction score
Yes I thought so at first, as they are climbers, but I read during my 'research' over the last couple of days that they can injure or even kill themselves falling over 1- 2 feet, the second one has quite a long drop if you look at the top 'shelf' to the cage bottom :( Could use hammocks etc in between to prevent this I suppose.

The first one would allow them to climb and run and no chance of falling from high places.

wind1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been looking into chinchillas recently as we are hoping to get some soon. I went onto a forum to ask questions about cages and everyone on there recommends John Hopewell cages http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productlist.page.xml&CategoryId=32

From the research I have done they should have a wire base in the cage and should not have plastic bases or shelves as they can chew them and it can be harmful to them. Here is a link to the forum.
http://www.chinformative.com/

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a look at those forums / cages. I read on another forum that the original reason for mesh floors was when they used to be breed for fur :x
and that kept the fur clean :(

These two I have got have very red feet :( so I have put lino at the bottom, but most is also covered with wood so shouldn't be a problem they have loads of chew things anyway.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
I let them have a run around the bathroom tonight when I cleaned the cage they loved it, and easier the catch than I imagined :))

Heres photos of parts of the filthy cage they were brought in yesterday:

ChinchillasOCT2010002.jpg

ChinchillasOCT2010004.jpg

And here are my babies exploring the bathroom :)

ChinchillasOCT2010006.jpg

ChinchillasOCT2010017.jpg

ChinchillasOCT2010007.jpg

ChinchillasOCT2010015.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.