• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mystery Illness

Tiki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
About two weeks ago my 5 year old boar had a rapid decrease in food consumption and was clearly in pain. He was taken to a guinea pig vet, who then diagnosed him with malclusion. His back teeth were filed down. We went back several days later after no improvement and he was x-rayed. The vet then filed down his front teeth slightly and gave us meds for gas build up. He is still not improving several days after the last visit. The vet is certain that his dental health is now prefect and doesn't know what else is wrong.

To elaborate on his symptoms more, he will eagerly approach treats try to bite them and then rapidly withdraw and start pawing at his neck. He is clearly still hungry but can't seem to eat.

We have been syringe feeding him critical care but are quite worried now the vet is out of ideas. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Video of his behavior:

Also he reuses to let us touch his throat and has a slight 'weeze' though the vet said his lungs are fine.

Unfortunately there aren’t many vets experienced in dealing with guinea pig teeth. The only one a lot of people on here trust is Simon Maddock in Northampton. Perhaps try and get him an appointment there (he has been on holiday but don’t know if he’s back yet).

For now weigh daily at the same time and adjust syringe feeding as appropriate. Try cutting up the veg into little strips and offering her some grass as well if you can.

Was she eating again after the first dental, and was it done under GA or not?

I’ll tag @furryfriends (TEAS) @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle @Wiebke

How piggy savvy is your vet? It looks like there is still something wrong with his teeth if he is eager to eat but can’t :( Sadly, not all vets are good with guinea pig teeth

Hi there,

These are similar symptoms to what my gremlin was suffering 6 months ago. He had a spur on one of his back teeth. He saw an experienced guinea pig vet who removed the spur and he was well for a little while but the symptoms reoccurred. I took him to see Simon Maddock at the cat and rabbit care clinic in Northampton about 8 weeks ago and he is doing very well.
You really need to start weighing your piggy at the same time every day to see if there is any weight loss. If there is a noticeable weight loss then you should step in with syringe feeding to keep weight on.

Siikibam: The first dental was under GA and his wasn't eating after. He will very slowly eating small amounts of soft veggies.

Claire: The vet is piggy savvy and is recommended by the local guinea pig rescue.

Daveclark: What was the result from the 2nd visit? He has lost some weight, but we have stabilized with syringe feedings

I run a sanctuary for guinea pigs with dental issues and there is definitely something wrong dental/mouth related, with your little guy. I've lost count of the number of guinea pigs who arrive here, after some very guinea pig savvy vets have been seeing them and have said the teeth are perfect, when in fact they've missed some very significant issues. Simon Maddock is the reason that TEAS exists. He sees guinea pigs from all over the UK, with dental issues and the results he achieves are amazing!

I run a sanctuary for guinea pigs with dental issues and there is definitely something wrong dental/mouth related, with your little guy. I've lost count of the number of guinea pigs who arrive here, after some very guinea pig savvy vets have been seeing them and have said the teeth are perfect, when in fact they've missed some very significant issues. Simon Maddock is the reason that TEAS exists. He sees guinea pigs from all over the UK, with dental issues and the results he achieves are amazing!

Unfortunately I live in Washington DC.

Siikibam: The first dental was under GA and his wasn't eating after. He will very slowly eating small amounts of soft veggies.

Claire: The vet is piggy savvy and is recommended by the local guinea pig rescue.

Daveclark: What was the result from the 2nd visit? He has lost some weight, but we have stabilized with syringe feedings
He is doing very well. He is eating, drinking and pooping normally. He is holding weight and is back to his usual happy self.

Back