• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nail clipping & bathing

GingerbreadEddy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just gave my guinea pigs their first nail clipping and bath with soap, (I have been bathing them,just not with shampoo) and they were horrified, I made sure I didn’t cut their quick, and I was gentle with them when they were bathing, but they kept on squeaking and trying to run away.
Will they ever trust me again?
Is there a better way of doing it?

I never bathe mine unless there is a medical reason to do so - I just give them a bum bath if necessary. How long have you had your piggies for? Maybe it would be best to pop them to the vets for a nail trim next time so that they can show you how to hold your piggies properly and explain the best way to do it. I have had my piggies for 2 years now and they are only just trusting me enough to trim their nails without too much squirming. Some piggies always resist and it is a two person job. Did you distract them with their favourite veg?

I have a friend that is experienced with guinea pigs and she taught me how to clip their nails, but I don't distract them with food, that is a good idea though.
I give them baths because I don't want them to get lice.
today I gave them a bath together, and they didn't hate it as much.

My Rainbow Piggies lived for 5 years and never had any creepy crawlies. Dennis had mites and I took him to the vet and got treatment for that and then I had to treat the other 4 too so that I didn't have a never ending cycle of mite. Guinea pigs do not like water and it stresses them out. Piggies should only be bathed if they have a problem such as mites.

My long haired boy Gibson is fine having his nails trimmed, the just sits there and lets me do it. Higgins (short haired) absolutely hates it though, it really stresses him out, so sometimes we only manage to clip one single nail..! Some piggies just don't like it..!

As for bathing, I give Gibson bumbaths every now and then if his fur is too dirty, but he isn't a fan. I've never bathed Higgins.

Despite many videos you may see online, and as @Betsy says, Piggies aren't fans of water, so avoid bathing them at all unless they really need it - and certainly not daily. If they show signs of lice etc. take them to the vet, as it needs medical treatment.

Back