• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nail Hanging off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

As you might of read in my previous thread tonight Artie had an escape attempt round the gardens of my neighbours! My mums bathed his foot in diluted antiseptic, and hes eating/walking/drinking fine, was popcorning round the cage when i brought him indoors!

I'm taking Artie to the vet tomorrow morning but can i do anything for him now? Or is it best to leave him and wait till i see a vet?

The poorly hanging off toe is on the left, third toe from the left its hanging sideways:
Poorlyboy.jpg

Laura x

Last edited:

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Can't advise on immediate action - you have already bathed in disinfectant etc and if the bleeding has stopped then i think it;s best to wait to see what the vet says tomorrow.

He is active, lively and doesn;t appear to be in enough pain to stop him eating (monitor his weight/poos for a couple of days perhaps just to make sure?)

My Grommie managed to damage one of his toes..(I think he must have caught it in the hinged hidey that formed part of his cage). I didn;t even spot it at the time - it healed fine without my intervention..he just had a slightly shorter "stump" without a nail, but it didn;t affect him at all...his wifey Fleure still had to nip him on the nose to keep his rumblestrutting in check :(|))

Big hugs to you and Artie...(and calomine lotion for your dedicated mum for those nettle stings).........must have been a shock for all of you and glad you;ve had a good outcome.

Tsk...that Artie..bless him...obviously trying for a career as the piggie Houdini

x

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can't advise on immediate action - you have already bathed in disinfectant etc and if the bleeding has stopped then i think it;s best to wait to see what the vet says tomorrow.

He is active, lively and doesn;t appear to be in enough pain to stop him eating (monitor his weight/poos for a couple of days perhaps just to make sure?)

My Grommie managed to damage one of his toes..(I think he must have caught it in the hinged hidey that formed part of his cage). I didn;t even spot it at the time - it healed fine without my intervention..he just had a slightly shorter "stump" without a nail, but it didn;t affect him at all...his wifey Fleure still had to nip him on the nose to keep his rumblestrutting in check :(|))

Big hugs to you and Artie...(and calomine lotion for your dedicated mum for those nettle stings).........must have been a shock for all of you and glad you;ve had a good outcome.

Tsk...that Artie..bless him...obviously trying for a career as the piggie Houdini

x

Thank you, i think i just needed some reassurance that he isnt suddenly going to go downhill...well i can see that now at the moment he's trying to squeeze his head through the cage bars...i can see me going to the vet tomorrow with a pig who has a poorly foot and head!

I'll keep a close eye on him over the next few days, thank you so much for your response, I'm glad Grommie is okay too!

Haha my mums getting a pamper kit tomorrow...i think she needs it :x hehe! The things you do for pigs...:))

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It should heal just fine. Little Miss did the same at the weekend. Silly girl. Will just heal up with no probs, the nail will probably fall off and then regrow again. You can always give a bit of pain relief but shouldnt need antib's. Hope he feels better soon.

x.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
OMG Laura! tsk tsk Artie!
Healing wheeeeky loves for Artie xoxoxoxoxoxo and HUGS for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What our little ones will do eh rolleyes

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you Glynis, Artie says he'll post some piggie lips photos soon when he gets well....no more escape attempts for the Artie!

Status
Not open for further replies.