• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

need guinea advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guinea-Tia-Flossie

I'm a pet sitter, and at the moment am looking after 2 chocolate labs while they are at work. When i was there today, i saw they had some guineas. So i went over to see how they were, only to be abit shocked.

These poor guineas had only a thin layer of sawdust as bedding, no straw or hay to snuggle in and eat. They had 2 small hamster sized bowls one was empty and upside down and the other had only a small amount of food in their sawdust was also very smelly and wet from thier own wee, and the guineas were greasy and dirty.

I got one out and kissed his little ears...They were FREEZING! he was also very thin compared to the other. So i had a look, and he was a boy! i took the other one out (who was licking my hands like they hadn't been picked up in ages) only to find out it was a GIRL!

so un neutred boy and girl...means, yes, babies and low and behold she was pregnant. (i could feel them) I really don't think they know they have a boy and girl together, otherwise they wouldn't have kept them together, and i don't think they know she is pregnant! They just seem to be neglected!

Now i can't really confront them with the way these guineas are stuck outside in the freezing cold with no food no bedding and pregnant, as i could lose my job if they complain....I have thought of taking them and just leaving the door open like they got out haha, but i shouldn't.

So any thoughts on what is best? I won't see them again until monday, but i will put some bedding in the car, just incase they still havn't got any by then.

Ta xx

well you dont need to COMPLAIN, you could just give them friendly advice, even offer if they would mind you mucking out the cage.. (who would say no? come and do mine too if you want :P) You can tell them as if its an afterthought, that they really could do with some hay, it getting colder now and all.. and mention that they actually need the fibre, its essential to them.

dont accuse, just give friendly advice, and hope they take it.

you will be there more often I suppose, and see if they do anything or not. If they dont, you could always contact the RSPCA.

Something similar happened to me, its how I got my first ever guinea pig:

I went into the neighbours basement and they had this lonely piggy sitting there with no bedding or hay or ANYTHING.
When I went to pet her they were already like "oh you like piggies?" and I was like "oh yes, you have to be careful I dont snatch her away" and they went "oh if you really want her, take her with you."

If they think the piggies are a bother, they might actually be only too willing to give them to you if you ask. :)
(without you having to fake their escape ;) )

Hell, I don't know what to suggest. You could just steal them - if the owners aren't interested they might not notice. Also if you are pet-sitting i am very surprised the owners didn't mention the guineas to you (give them lunch etc). Responsible owners would have done so.

My guess is if the little ones arrive and survive the whole family will end up dumped in a layby or something.

Yes along the lines of "oh you must be soooo looking forward to the new babies" " I'm an absolute guinea slave!" "oh.. you didn't know she was expecting?"

As Ulrike says it sounds like they'd be only too pleased to be rid,,,, hopefully ;)

you really need to be diplomatic here but as already suggested say have you found homes for the babies then take it from there tell them you adore guinea pigs and want some more then if they say oh have them grab them and run, but get them outta there RSPCA if all else fails how could they leave them cold and hungary while mums pregnant, I'm surprised dad had the energy to make her pregnant

Oh dear that's just awful. Good luck hope it all goes well you've been given some great advice and ideas.
Poor little munchkins some people should just not have animals :'(

That's terrible. You must have felt really bad leaving, trouble is you feel so helpless sometimes. I'd go along with what the others have said. As you are a petsitter, then it's your job to know about pet care so it's not like you're interfering - just doing your job really well.

How horrible i wud just say so are you looking forward to the babies then !

and go onto to say i love Guinea pigs etc etc and take it from there

I have an update on this. But it's not good news.

They were so filthy last week, i cleaned them out and put lots of straw and hay in. Only to find that a few days later, they had cleaned them out and not put any straw or hay back in.

I know they cleaned them out and the guineas didn't eat it because i didn't use shavings, and when i went back yesterday all that was in there was shavings.

What now?
I never see this family so i can't talk to them!

Could you not leave them a note or maybe call them in the evening when they are back from work?

I had a thought - what if you drop in a xmas card with a note saying saomething like "I really enjoyed looking after your animals .... I hope you all have a fab xmas, i have recently lost my guinea pigs & if you ever need a break from yours I would love to look after them for free to fill the gap of my own which I have lost - I am at home all over the xmas period so if you need me please call & we can arrange a time for me to pick them up". Very very cheeky & full of lies but it may work...

Ooh I like it ;)

Also mention the pregnancy some how, as i'm sure they aren't even aware of it ?

My heart breaks for these little animals ... :'(

And now the anger

>:( >:( >:(

May the angel-pigs help them.

I dont know what to suggest. Id be very casual about thnigs and try and find their whereabouts

Poor little things, I worry about mine if the shed door is open too much and its windy - I don't like the thought of them being in a draught. I agree with some of the things said, diplomacy and tact are key points here. I like the idea of a Christmas card and congratulating them on their babies and say you know of homes for them if required. As others have said, I bet they don't even know they are pregnant. I was told a rabbit of mine was male - it turned out to be female - quick triip to vets to ensure no little bunnies as I had two boys. As mentioned, you are paid to know about animals - you will be offering your guinea pig advice for free! Let us know how you get on - hopefully once they know babies are on the way and that you LOOOOVVEEE guinea pigs, they will willingly hand them over. Sooner rather than later hopefully and its freezing. Good luck.

hils78 said:
I had a thought - what if you drop in a xmas card with a note saying saomething like "I really enjoyed looking after your animals .... I hope you all have a fab xmas, i have recently lost my guinea pigs & if you ever need a break from yours I would love to look after them for free to fill the gap of my own which I have lost - I am at home all over the xmas period so if you need me please call & we can arrange a time for me to pick them up". Very very cheeky & full of lies but it may work...

Brilliant idea !

I went back today, and left a note. It went something like....

"While dean was with the dogs today, i went to go and see the guineas.
i couldn't help but notice your female guinea pig is pregnant. Guinea pigs are usually pregnant for about 2 months, and i'd say she is about a month gone. Perhaps you could possibly move the guineas inside or into your garage for the winter now she is expecting little ones. You must be so excited :) Apologies if you already knew."

I hope this will work, as it doesn't sound like i'm interfering or being cheeky. Do you think i worded it alright?

Aw, poor piggies. If they reply to your note, perhaps you could leave them your number if they need more advise. They best move the male piggie out before the female gives birth or there might be even more on the way :o

BTW could I ask who you pet sit for please? i live in Nottingham and need to find a pet sitter for when I'm away to look after my house rabbits and cat, but am a bit concerned about letting a stranger have my house keys. Are you police checked etc? How do the company make sure their sitters are trustworthy?

thanks
Mandyx

yup I'm in nottingham too and might need one if we ever go abroad( not like we can afford it,hell will freeze over first)

then again I might borrow Hils to house sit and leave my dog to her to look after,heh

I'm with Paradise Pet Sitters,

It's only me and Dean who run the company. Dean set it up. www.paradisepetsitters.co.uk

I met him when i did some volunteering at the RSPCA where he worked at the time. He decided then after 7 years of working there to leave and set up his own pet sitting company.

We are police checked. and have a good bunch of regular customers who wouldn't mind you giving them a call, just to put your mind at ease.

I have a house rabbit too, called Meadow, she is so cheeky ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back