• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Neighbours were broken into overnight

Oh no poor people :no:
Sadly this happens here in OZ too. The scumbags who do this don't care about the people they rob. There's so many gangs doing this :(:(

Saw on the news this morning that less than 5% of thefts and burglaries are solved.
:woot:

the sentences should be longer,and these burgarlars should be expected to speak to ant victims and listen to how it feels.also maybe more help for the route causes.often for drug money.needs to be much more support on rehab for persons who take drugs.This has given me a strong urge to get an alarm fitted to the house.

Argh I hate stories like this, truly scary.

But I used to have guard Guineas! One day I’d washed my six Guineas and left them in the indoor cage in the living room to dry as it was warm . I went to go to the shops and left the front door wide open (idiot). Husband was upstairs and suddenly heard all six of them rumble strutting and making odd noises (normally only one would but he reckoned all six were) he couldn’t understand why and thought it very odd. As he came downstairs a stranger was in the house checking it out! Husband chased him out and as soon as the guy had gone the Guineas went back to being quiet.

Hubby’s view on Guinea pigs changed completely that day, if they had not raised the alarm we would have been burgled or worse. I am still amazed to this day. They definitely knew something was odd.

I do worry about this kind of crime and I can't imagine how anyone would feel after, but my heart goes out to you.
Investment in alarm and any other safeguards very much required, closing curtains at night and not showing things up at the windows also.
Scary indeed.

Sounds like an alarm was a really good idea. It's next on our list too. This neighborhood is suburban but the house was empty for some years. Most of the neighbors came to welcome us and eluded to the fact that our neighbors to the left of us are the only renters in the neighborhood. They also spoke of how old the neighborhood was and how established. The house next door is kept up and I had no problems. The third day I was here, my kids came down and said someone rang the doorbell and then took off in a car. The realtor hadn't come to get the sign yet so I chalked up to maybe the house sitting empty so long was the problem. the first week, our neighbor across the street said that someone had broken into his garage and stolen a lot of his things. He was very focused on the concern of it being our neighbors/renters. This made my husband and I a bit more nervous as his home is a bit further back and fenced all over; even over the drive way. Doing something like this would have really taken some effort overnight. This is a very quiet neighborhood. About a week later, my son's new bike was stolen from our driveway next to our garage. I am up all night and the night before. Our driveway is the other side of the renters that concern others. The police came and already gave us a sort of warning that there have been other problems and thefts with police having reason to suspect our neighbors. I started to believe it as the night before I heard at least 20 teens going in and out with cars and bikes going around until very early in the morning. It's also been becoming a normal thing.

The bike was a big thing and a worry. We left Sept 14 from our home in Fla in the middle of a hurricane, camped for 3 weeks in NC and then lived in a motel here in NY until the damages from the home could be assessed and we could purchase and close on the home here. We left with whatever we could get into the SUV and had to purchase everything down to plates for the home here. I took care with the bikes and kids things as they had to leave so much. His was a decent bike and these people had to know what they were doing and watching because that night was the only night he didn't bring it in.

Since then, there have been a few other problems. They have two families living there to afford the rent. One woman is really respectful and her son is as well. The other family has 4 kids from 7 up and the parents are frightening. The boy came over when we had our guinea pigs out once and said he wanted one but his dad shot one of their dogs and threatens to feed rodents to his snake. Then said something about the landlord not knowing. My husband and I have started to get ADT and the neighborhood watch is getting more active. It is sad however. I looked up the taxes for our area and found that before the LLC bought and rented the neighbor's home back in 2012, the woman was an older European (like most of this neighborhood) whom had the home built in the early 20's and lived there with her family putting her love into it until she passed at the age of 86. Similar to the woman whom owned this home.

We do have a police man that parks now overnight at the end of the road. I go to work third shift part time and I pick hubby up when not working at the end of his shift around midnight. It's nice to see now that they are always there at the park watching this road in particular. It's really helped but not eradicated the problem.

Is there anything else you can do to ensure your privacy besides the cameras? Can you establish a sort of neighborhood watch or put more pressure on your local magistrate? We got some ideas from the police here. One thing they recommended was to put a border around the sides of each of the homes here with 6 foot privacy panels. Many of our neighbors have started and we've already made a plan with the neighbor near our driveway (a really wonderful family) to start. It needs only about 9 or 10 in a straight line as a border. Maybe you can talk to your neighbors about ideas for safety and a visit or two with the local police.

It's not a nice feeling when it's so close to you as it was your neighbor. Maybe channel the unease you can have into getting some help to crack down on the problems there are. I don't know so much how it works in the UK but there should be something you all can do to get more help and security. Stressing that we pay enough in taxes here usually starts a few balls rolling.

All the best in a really crummy and unjust situation. I hope you can find a way to a little peace and less worry very soon.

Back