Nettles in hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it normal to find what looks and feels (ouch!) like a dried stinging nettle in the bottom of a bag of meadow hay? Glad my fingers found it before my poor boys mouths did :(

D

DebbieR

I often find sharp thorny bits in the hay. I suppose it can't be avoided. I just make sure I feel all through it with my hands first before I let G&M loose in it.

S

ss4ya

I'm guessing that would be natural to find as if its all bagged straight away then there are going to be nettles and stuff,

the stuff gem and i use is pretty good, we get it from a pet shop called jollyes. not sure of the name, but its all good stuff.

D

DebbieR

If you go to Jolleys - you can get a type of readigrass there called "Friendly" it'll be with the snall animal bedding stuff.

I'm lucky that I have a farm not far from me that sells lovely hay. A bale is only £2.50 and I stick it in the green garden waste bin I got free from the council ;D

S

ss4ya

cool we might check that out then, we might be using that already, I'm not sure of the name...hehe

D

DebbieR

Its when you find bits of mice and stuff you have to start worrying :-X

Reaction score
I found a dead mouse once but nettles are quite often in the meadow hay I just put on my rubber gloves and yank them out

Reaction score
I think I'm one of the lucky ones (famous last words), that I haven't found anything 'bad' as yet! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.