• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky1804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a few questions regarding neutering of boars.
I have a lone boar at the moment due to having his friend pts. Iv kept a pair of boars for around 4 years always getting friend when one passes.
I'm now thinking of getting my boy neutered so he can live out his life with a female or two, thus making things a little easier in the future for intro either more females or neutered boar when his time comes. This will also allow me to look into the rescue side of piggies more.
My question is
How old is too old to be neutered? My boy is 2 1/2 years. I know there are risks with any op.
Also people who have had there boars neuter is it a decision you are happy you made?
Many Thanks
Vicky

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Vicky,

Provided you have a very good vet you trust 100%, and your boar is fit and healthy, I see no problem with deciding to have him neutered.

I have/had 5 neutered boys, most of them I chose to put in for neuter. Last one was in June, he was neutered by the Cambridge Cavy Trust, he came through the op better than I have ever known a pig come through surgery - may be down to him being young, fit and healthy but I believe it also a lot has to do with the fact the CCT really, really know what they are doing and only do what is necessary.

The oldest pig I have had neutered myself was 12 months but I adopted a boar from a rescue, he was an estimated age of 3 years old when he went through the op, and he did absolutely fine.

Of course there are no guarantees, but these are my experiences, and I do personally understand why you are considering having your boar neutered.

vicky1804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, iv just had a look on Layla rescue site on here and she lists the name of the vet she uses and recommends and they aren't too far from us.
So when we get home we will be making an appointment to take him through so they can check him over and run through the procedure with us.
Fingers crossed if things work out, we will be having a look around the local rescues for some girlys to keep him happy

Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.