• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New guinea pig wheeking loudly at me? Just saying hi? Stupid question.

FurryBabyMama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but just now Acorn stood in the middle of the cage, stared at me and started wheeking really loudly at me. I don't think he was scared or anything, I hadn't made him jump, I was sat quietly in my usual spot on the sofa. He's got veg, pellets, hay and water so he doesn't want anything. Was he just saying hi to me? It was very cute if he was just saying hi. I don't understand their language yet haha

He's most probably asking for some treats. My piggies do that too when they want something. Ours would squeek loudly and walk in front of us (they run freely in the living room) and wouldn't stop until they see me or hubby stand and go to the kitchen. :own:

I've never really given him treats before. They get their veg for breakfast when I wake up at around 9, nuggets for tea at around 5, and a bowl of fresh grass and dandelion leaves from the front gardens at around 8. It wasn't feeding time >.<
The veg bowl still had veg in and the nugget bowl was still full

I'm glad it's normal. I was worried something was wrong with him cause they've both been quiet until now. I guess they're feeling more settled in so aren't as scared to make noise :)

This is normal behaviour.
A guinea pig can demand food even when there’s still plenty in the cage.
He is clearly feeling settled and secure with you if he’s wheeking at you.

This is probably a stupid question, but just now Acorn stood in the middle of the cage, stared at me and started wheeking really loudly at me. I don't think he was scared or anything, I hadn't made him jump, I was sat quietly in my usual spot on the sofa. He's got veg, pellets, hay and water so he doesn't want anything. Was he just saying hi to me? It was very cute if he was just saying hi. I don't understand their language yet haha
My boys do that every time they here a wrapper on food as people have said the probably just want a treat

My Mocha does this. I think it has something to do with his breed, as they're meant to be very vocal. He wheeks VERY loudly, seemingly at nothing. Half the time I think he's dying, but when I go into their room, he's fine. It's crazy!

He probably wants food (even though he already has food.) Mine certainly wheek to remind me that they enjoy food whenever they hear something that makes them think that food might be forthcoming (like the fridge opening upstairs or a plastic bag rustling.)

Back