New guinea pig

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I recently had a piggy pass away as he was too far gone for treatment 😥. my parents fetched another, i have 1 at the moment but I know they need company and will try looking for another. My new baby is 8 week old and he is just sat still under some hay but i can see him popping.I'm just a little nervous as he is rather small and only eaten a little veg,he hasnt had a drink as far as I'm aware yet,also his bottle is low and fairly close to the ground but if need be will he be able to climb to reach a drink,also hes only been around 6 hours so should I leave him alone and if so how long for? Thank you for any advice
❤💛

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
A week. Why are you getting just one? And where did you get him from? Are you sure it’s a he? It would be good to see a photo.
How old are you by the way?
PS please answer all questions.

Last edited:

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry you lost your other piggy.

your new piggy is too young to be alone, he needs a friend ASAP. It’s an utter shame that a shop sold you just one piggy. He is going to hide and be frightened because he is very young and he’s alone.
when you get a friend for him, you will have to go through the neutral territory bonding process correctly. Do not get another piggy and just put it into this piggy’s cage. This guide details the bonding process - Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
the best thing is to contact rescue centres that offer boar dating to find him a friend. If you go out and get another piggy on spec from a pet shop, then you run the risk that these two won’t like each other and have character compatibility so if you do get a friend for him from a pet shop, then you’ll need to prepare for failure down the line

he needs to eat hay. Veg is just 50g per day and he will drink water when he feels confident.

you need to leave new piggies to settle in for a week, you should cover the cage with A blanket so he feels safer.

Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got him from a lady who is fully licenced in breeding animals including guinea pigs, he was the last one but I'm trying to find another, as for his gender i had a quick check just for clarification as I was unsure myself and he is definitely a male and I'm 32, regarding the water question can they climb to reach bottles? Which by the way is as low as can be but i will fetch a small bowl if necessary

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Do you have any rescues close by that you could take him dating so he can choose his own friend? That’s the better option really.

guinea pigs can’t climb so perhaps put him some water in a bowl if he can’t reach the bottle.

You should leave him to settle in for about a week but it is essential that you get him a friend ASAP as he is too young to be alone

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Then it’s a shame a breeder sold you just one. A reputable breeder would know such youngsters should never be alone.
speak to rescue centres and get on their waiting list for boar dating. if you buy another new piggy on spec (from a breeder or shop) then you stand a 50% chance of failed bonding ...then they’ll need to live in separate cages and you’ll then need to get each of them a new friend, so 4 piggies and two 6ft cages

put the bottle at the height at which his head is. If you can’t get it at that height, then use a bowl

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don't even know if we have rescue centres here I'm in the uk, i have put his bottle which is almost head height on the cage on the lowest possible bar which he should only need to lift his head a little but i will fetch a bowl just in case he cant reach yet

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don't even know if we have rescue centres here I'm in the uk, i have put his bottle which is almost head height on the cage on the lowest possible bar which he should only need to lift his head a little but i will fetch a bowl just in case he cant reach yet
the Uk is full of rescue centres who can help. This is our Rescue Locator

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks but can you get directions on it? Id need to know the nearest one and I'm terrible with maps

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Photo?

Zoom in on the area where you live and you can see the rescues around you.
You need to contact the rescues now. Email them all now and let them know you’re looking to bond your young pig as soon as possible.

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I can see two which id be able to reach but i sure the others would be too far as we need fuel often for work and may not be able to afford a few extra tanks a week

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks but can you get directions on it? Id need to know the nearest one and I'm terrible with maps
If you click on the full screen button in the top right corner of the map it takes you to Google maps itself. From there you can click on the nearest rescue to you and there will be a blue directions button at the bottom. If you click that it should show you how to get to the rescue from your current location. I did this from my phone so it may be slightly different if you are on a pc. I hope this helps 🙂

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can see two which id be able to reach but i sure the others would be too far as we need fuel often for work and may not be able to afford a few extra tanks a week
You shouldn’t need an extra full tank to get to the ones further away. Your piggy NEEDS a companion, so I’m afraid you will just have to take the hit and get him a friend wherever you can. In this case you can’t be picky.

No decent rescue will let you bond your boy with a pair of boars. Boars should only be kept in pairs.

Please can you take a photo and post it here.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Try the ones nearest to you first.
a bonding is a one time thing, so if they had a piggy they thought suitable, you’d take your piggy to the rescue, they’d carry out the bonding and if it was successful, you’d bring them both home. It would only be one return journey.

make sure you save up for a vet fund. Guinea pigs are not cheap animals so having a fund readily available is important

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Please also see which vet is near you on the vet locator below. I would take your boy in next week for a general check.
Vet Locator

Photo please?

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He has already had a check up everything Is fine, he has hardly eaten hay yet but i tried tempting him with a piece without touching him and he nibbled at some and made a little noise,he is very quiet though probably due to nerves as no friend yet

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Who checked him over, the vet? Please don’t rely on the breeder checking him over.

Leave him alone for a week. That means only clean out, change/top up hay and give him his veg.

Are you able to take a photo?Perhaps ask your parents to take one and upload it. Your phone should be able to do it as well

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Only a vet can say he is completely healthy. I wouldn’t trust a breeders word for it at all. Only having your own vet check him over is piece of mind that he is truly healthy

put hay everywhere in the cage so he can get to plenty of it without having to move out of hideys or from where he feels most comfortable

glittercube

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have put extra hay in and he was eating it last night,still not seen him drink but he has a temporary water dish until I can get a proper one later today,however he is small so will he be less thirsty because he likes pepper which is pretty moist,i will get him some cucumber too as they are good for food and fluids