New guinea pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I introduced a new young guinea pig to my other guinea pigs (born in august) and they seem to be okay with him but I'm a bit unsure at some of the behaviour

Basically the dominant, Ludwig, keeps being chased away by Gilbert the sub -Ludwig is the dominant because he always has his head raised higher and eats first- but Gilbert seems to be protective or dominant over the baby. I am not sure if hes protecting him or what. Gilbert keeps humping the youngster though -and ludwig doesn't-. Should I take the new one out? There's no biting, just humping, chasing, tons and tons of racket and stuff.

Any help would be nice please. They have calmed down a bit but theres still some soft rumbles and things. I just want to know if they are okay or not.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just an update.
As no one has yet answered and I was really worried to leave them over night. I took China out and have put him in another cage.

Now I am wondering, should I possibly give him to my sister (as she bought a guinea pig along with mine and she only has one) or just put him back in with the older piggies and just hope it works out?

Also as a site note, little China has bitten my mum once and me once, Is there any way to stop him biting? The other two never bite.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
just a simple no and tap on the nose should help with the biting, sometimes youngsters get a bit excited.

I wouldnt split them up at the moment, humping is usual dominate behavour, just double check your new little one is a boy and not a girl. I would only sperate them if there is any blood drawn. Sounds like theyre just sorting out the pecking order.

x.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try that. I wasn't sure if it was because I held him wrong or what. He had gotten behind my mums neck so I had to quickly grab him as he was chewing her hair and that was when he bit me.
He bit my mum when she took him out from beneath the stairs though.

Ohh really? I wasn't sure as they are just over twice his size so I was really worried. Especially as I said, the more submissive (out of the two) was the one doing the humping and not letting Ludwig (my dom) anywhere near the baby.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

If all your pigs are boys (did I count 3?) then there's likely to be a bit of fighting. Boys are quite hard to keep together so if I were you i'd keep the original pair who get on together and give your sister the other boy, assuming your sister has a male too? (!)

As for the biting, he's just scared. You need to give him a chance to settle in if you've only just got him. And I totally disagree with the no and tap on the nose. Guineas aren't the same as dogs and they wont understand you. You just have to make sure he feels settled - probably by taking him away from the other two pigs.

Hope he gets on with your sister's male pig (please make sure they're both the same sex!)

Alyson x

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My sisters guinea pig is a boy. I made sure that when we bought them I looked at their genitals.

The two are actually siblings from what I gather. They had been, in the shop, grooming, snuggling and sleeping together in the little pigloo so I think they will get on well.
When they were in the carrier together, the other one my sister has (alfie) did nudge him out of the way as he was trying to dig out of the carrier, but he took it peacefully.

I would like to keep him but if he is better off with the other guinea pig, I'd rather him be happy. I can still see him as my sister only lives fifteen minutes away, too.

And yes, all three are boys. The older guinea pigs are apparently four months old, the vet said she thinks they were born in august, whereas this new one is apparently 8-10 weeks old. He's much much smaller than my other two though.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yeah unfortunately boys don't really get along well in groups and you may risk them all falling out with each other and having to keep three separate pigs. Best to make your sister's pig happy with a friend of his own and keep your boys happy together. As you say you can go visit when you want to See him. Well done for checking as some pet stores dont know how to sex guineas! Hopefully the little one Will settle down and be more relaxed and non bitey with his new friend. Alyson x

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yeah unfortunately boys don't really get along well in groups and you may risk them all falling out with each other and having to keep three separate pigs. Best to make your sister's pig happy with a friend of his own and keep your boys happy together. As you say you can go visit when you want to See him. Well done for checking as some pet stores dont know how to sex guineas! Hopefully the little one Will settle down and be more relaxed and non bitey with his new friend. Alyson x

Ohh I see. I thought they would be fine when I bought him as I heard many people kept 3 or more piggies.
Like I said though, I would rather my first two boys be happy as well as the little one then some kind of falling out between one of them all. I have a feeling its Ludwig who will be rejected as Gilbert wouldn't let him near and so Luddy would fight back (being the dom)

I'll talk to my sister tomorrow about letting her have my piggie. We are going out so I can easily see if she will take him. I know she wanted him in the first place.

I do have a quick question though, how damaging is smoking to guinea pigs? My sister smokes and I'm just a tiny bit worried about that...

Status
Not open for further replies.