• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New hutch for my older girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My mum's partner, Steve, is a mechanic by day, and by night he's a carpenter and he restored one of the hutches I got the other month! :)

It's had new doors, mesh, hinges, front frame, bases and ladder fitted. It's also been treated with pet safe wood stain and the ladder has a barrier up the side to prevent them from falling as I don't really trust they wouldn't to be honest.

It doesn't have a separate sleeping area but neither does the one I have them in at the moment and they'll be going into a polytunnel soon so the wind won't be a problem. I was going to get a shed but my dad doesn't want one in the garden because it's 'too much hassle', which is ok as these polytunnel things, I went in one in a garden centre last week, they're really quite sweet, decent price for their lovely sizes, they'll obviously let in so much light during the day, yet keeping them from the cold wind, and I'll be able to put some tarpaulin over the top as added protection, although the cover for it is a tarpaulin type of thing I think. It's like a see-through tent basically! :)

So anyway! This was from about a week ago:
Resize_P1905_09-10-11111009190536.jpg

Resize_P1901_09-10-11111009190130.jpg

This is it from earlier:
Photo-00012.jpg

I'll be fitting it with lino at some point this following fortnight and then they can try it out. The floor space is just a smidgen smaller than their hutch they're in now (it's 46inch x 16inch), and although a double doesn't make a difference, there is a lot of floor space on both levels. I'm also going to buy some storage cubes to bring them inside as it's not going to be suitable to put them on damp, cold grass now. Oh and if anyone notices that the gap to the ladder is exposed, I did tell my mum about that last week but when I saw it earlier, she told me she forgot, but she's planning to bring it down tomorrow morning, and I'll have to fit some wood on that so create a wall so they don't fall, just if anyone was concerned :)

Ah, I feel excited about it!

Oh that is great. How handy to have a carpenter in the family. I can think of loads of things I would ask for!:)

Oh that is great. How handy to have a carpenter in the family. I can think of loads of things I would ask for!:)

He does and can do loads of things, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, staircases, gates, flooring, hutches, runs, fireplaces, patio chairs and tables, window frames, the list is endless to be honest.

This is the only thing he's made for me, but the wood and hinges were what he'd had spare so I don't have to pay for that, just the mesh and his time spent making it :)

I don't like to ask him for things as, sadly, people take advantage of the fact he'll just say 'yes' to making something for them, even though they pay, but even his friends and family take him for granted to make them things so he's always really busy, on top of having a full time job as a mechanic, and looking after his son who's just a complete *insert swear word here*, and he has his eldest daughter and her two kids living with them as well after her marriage broke down, so you can imagine how little time he really has to himself, although I guess when he's down in his shed making things, it's his passion and he enjoys it. I just feel sorry for him so tend not to ask for anything, as I said, this is all I've ever asked for in the 6 years my mum's been with him.

I can't get the hutch today either :( *** my mum's not up for bringing it down as we were going to get some lino in town and then bring it back as she lives in town too, but we're going to on Friday, hopefully :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back