• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New indoor wood cage ideas

ian2000t

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member looking for some advice on building a new indoor wood cage for our piggies (just 2 bores). Currently they have a square metal cage (like an outdoor run) indoors, and the hay/sawdust gets all over the place.

DIY and tools aren't a problem, and I have a load of Pallet Wood, which I'm planning to use for the the walls of the build. Only fairly clean stuff, and it will be sanded and scrubbed before use to remove any contaminants. Then, use some perspex set into it as large windows.

I was thinking of using Corex for the floors, with either the usual newspaper/sawdust, or possibly fleece.

Few questions though:

- Is the polyester fleece safe for piggies to chew? I see lots of C&C cages with it, so I assume so?
- Is the wood (assuming clean pallet wood) safe if they decide to chew it? I've see cages made out of MDF (which is partly glue), so I assume the soft wood from pallets is safer than that?
- Can I coat the wood with anything? Just thinking about the lower part of the internal sides, in case piggies decide to wee in a corner and it soak into the wood? I've seen painted wood cages, but I have concerns about them chewing again. Also thought about PVA, but same concerns?

I also want to have some plastic tubing (as well as a wood ramp) up to higher levels. Is there any plastic to avoid in case they chew? Again, when I was a kid, my guinea pig had a plastic bed which it seemed to chew and eat worryingly, but never had any ill effects from it..! Am I worrying too much?

Can't wait to get started and post some pics on here!

In my experience when I had pigs years ago and they were kept in wooden structures they gnawed the wood but never actually ate it. I would find bits that had been gnawed off.
Looking forward to photos- we are currently designing summer housing with a huge run 🐹😊

They absolutely will chew the wood! My boys live out in my shed in a wooden hutch (with a connected playpen made out of c&c grids) they also have a wooden run. They have, as I had expected, wrecked it! The hutch is fine (other than the ramp side being chewed) but their outside run will probably need to have new wooden bottom rails added before next spring to stop the wire from falling out!
If you use a correx base but have it come up the sides several inches, that will protect the wood from getting wet but also stop them from getting to the bottom parts of wood.

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like a great forum, didn't expect this many replies so quickly! Love that shed as well! We're a bit more limited on space due to being inside, but hopefully I can design something that doesn't take over the house, but gives them good space to run around.

Not too worried about them knawing the wood, as long as it's not going to harm them. Because it's to be made out of lengths of Pallet wood, I'll make it easy to quickly replace pieces, if they get eaten or "soggy"! Good idea about a Corex coming a few inches up the wood to protect it.

So, in terms of construction, I think the following sounds safe?

- Pallet wood cleaned and sanded
- Corex base, and up a couple of inches to protect wood
- Looked at Protek Wood stains, as they are pet safe and have a good range of colours (and clear, which we might go for)
- Newspaper/sawdust in the lower run part, and fleece in the bedding area. Is there any particular fleece which is safe? Will probably buy it by the meter and make something suitable size.
- Either perspex or cut down C&C for "windows"/

Question - how high should the walls be to stop them jumping out?

In terms of how high the walls should be:
Most people who have c&c cages have them one grid high which is 12/14 inches. However, if piggies are the type to climb on top of their hidey houses then they will potentially be able to launch themselves off the roof and out over sides at that height so doubling it is probably wise even if you only make sides higher where you intend to put their hideys.

Been doing some mock-ups which I thought you might like to see - and offer any criticism and advice! :D

Any ideas what I can use for the tube? I'll need to brace it well, to make sure it's nice and sturdy when they run through it.

Grids are C&C grids, and the windows will be perspex.

Attachments

• PigCage1.JPG
    PigCage1.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PigCage2.JPG
    PigCage2.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PigCage3.JPG
    PigCage3.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
I LOVE planning and doing designs- what did you use to do this?
Looks great btw

Used Sketchup online app. Took a while to get used to!

Thanks, it's a bit of a strange shape, as it needs to fit the corner of the dining room, so I've tried to make the best use of space, while not making them enclosed too much.

Thought you might want to see the progress so far of the ground floor.

Used some 2mm Coroplast sheet from Wickes, but doubled it up to make 4mm - was loads cheaper than the online places selling 4mm.
For the grids, I ordered a shelving unit from Ebay - £18 for 30 grids, which seemed to be the cheapest I could find.

Attachments

• IMG_20181108_230331.jpg
    IMG_20181108_230331.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
FBDF1C84-BE89-478C-A257-BCC899C1D618.jpegWe bought this connecting pipe from the internet (Etsy)? It’s really well made and the connections are super, you can even look it shut with a little rabbit key. Runaround.co.uk. Welcome to forum, your hutch will be amazing!

Back