New Piggy Introduced To Old After Sad Passing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gpigdaddy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

A couple of months ago, one of my boars, Pixel, passed away. Since then, his brother, Percival, had been very quiet but mostly the same. They were seperated permanently due to fighting, but still liked to chat away etc.

At the weekend, we picked up a 16 week old rescue, Stitches, also a boar. Ever since then Percival has become a lot more chatty again and have been Rumble strutting then popcorning all over the place, and genuinely looking happier. At the same time, Stitches, has been doing the same.

At the moment they are seperated but next to each other so can sniff etc.

I assume reading the posts here that is a good sign, but should I leave them to bond more before removing the divider? Or perhaps a 'bonding bath' may be a good first step?

Thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A couple of months ago, one of my boars, Pixel, passed away. Since then, his brother, Percival, had been very quiet but mostly the same. They were seperated permanently due to fighting, but still liked to chat away etc.

At the weekend, we picked up a 16 week old rescue, Stitches, also a boar. Ever since then Percival has become a lot more chatty again and have been Rumble strutting then popcorning all over the place, and genuinely looking happier. At the same time, Stitches, has been doing the same.

At the moment they are seperated but next to each other so can sniff etc.

I assume reading the posts here that is a good sign, but should I leave them to bond more before removing the divider? Or perhaps a 'bonding bath' may be a good first step?

Thanks
Hi! It sounds like they are ready to bond anytime! I would recommend to start with the boys on your lap and then proceed to a neutral area if things look good. Give yourself plenty of time.

A bonding bath is not necessary; it only adds additional stress to proceedings but does not change the ultimate outcome which hinges on whether they get on personality-wise or not - and no trick in the book can mask or change that key factor! "Buddy baths" only contribute if you have separated already hormonal boars overnight after a near fall-out, and only for the reason of removing the testosterone stink from their coats pre-bonding. They are not the fail-safe tip they make out to be. For a successful bonding, you want to take as many external stress factors out of the bonding, not add to them! ;)

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.