• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

No poos overnight......worried....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, my boys had a falling out last night - I've posted on the 'behaviour' section about it - so they were separated overnight; Squeak remained in the cage and we put Pudding into the big rabbit playpen we've just bought.

I suspect that Pudding has some sort of injury - there was blood on the fleece in the cage when I separated them - but I have been unable to find any sign of injury or blood on either of them. Pud has certainly been very subdued and quiet since the 'incident'.

Anyway, when I went to give them both their morning veggies/hay top up, I noticed that Pud hasn't done a single poo overnight.........I checked all over the pen and couldn't find a single one. It doesn't look like he's touched his hay, nor his pellets, but he did eat some of his veggies when I put them in.

I topped up his hay with another variety, in the hope of tempting him, but I am, of course, really worried about this......what can I do and what shall I look out for?

Tracey

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He doesnt have a blockage or anything? But if it looks like he hasn't eaten then I would keep a very close eye and if you get home tonight and there is still no droppings id think about going to the vets incase their is a blockage or he may just need a probiotic to hlpe with good gut functions. He may of been feeling lonely and depressed if they've been seperated.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Hanwombat, he's just finished a course of Baytril (last dose was this morning) and he's been having probiotics while he's been on the antibiotics, so his gut should be ok. He's certainly shown no signs of reacting badly to the Baytril while he's been on it.

I did think that maybe the not eating was a reaction to being separated from Squeak, and of course, if nothing's going in then nothing will come out.

I'm not really 'up' on GP anatomy, but would him having a [*]possible[/*] bite to the penis stop him pooing for any reason? Would a painful penis make passing poos painful? I can't imagine that it would.....but then I can't say I really know for sure!

Tracey

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Id never dealt with an animal with penis problems but the anus is obviously located right near to the penis so it could cause pain - I dont think this would be the problem but who knows. If it was you would need to check for impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.