• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Noises

It sounds a little like irritation and submission squeaking. When do they make it and what are they doing at the time?

Our piggy’s are almost 6 months old, both female and occasionally make these kinds of noises, just wondering what it means and if I need to be worried about it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aMoDvcIjMJUln61j4lGqwUscby9I7N4/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi

Guinea pig interaction is rather complex. It has a sound, a body language and a scent (pheromones) component plus a situational tie-in.
It is very difficult to interpret sounds out of context correctly.

If possible, please take a video, upload it on a public setting elsewhere and copy into your forum post and we can help you better. Unfortunately we don't have a video uploading facility as we are entirely run by voluntary member donations.

It can be that there is a dominance issue/season connected with the fact that your girls are currently at the age where the teenage hormone levels are highest. But without the context to help us interpret correctly, we can only guess.
More information on sow behaviour, dominance and seasons in this link here: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
A list of typical dominance behaviours: Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

It sounds a little like irritation and submission squeaking. When do they make it and what are they doing at the time?
It’s very random when they do it, but a lot of the time they do it when I have them out of their cage. When they do it they seem to be sniffing at each other with occasional nudging also just after I stopped recording one of them sprayed urine at the other one?

I had a trio of male and 2 females: there'd be this sort of 'conversation' undercover after Ivy had shot into the cave that big George was trying to claim as his own by rumbling and blocking the doorway. She would just stand still waiting for a pause in his 'show' and suddenly barge him out of the way! It seemed like a reasonably good natured calming-down - I always thought of it as a little grumbling session while they settled down for the night - but the noises always died down within about 20-30 seconds. I think if it had carried on or increased in pitch or 'urgency' I would have been more concerned. I had to keep more of an eye on Ivy and old Daisy but any serious trouble between these was a silent affair of staring out and then a sudden bump with the nose.

It’s very random when they do it, but a lot of the time they do it when I have them out of their cage. When they do it they seem to be sniffing at each other with occasional nudging also just after I stopped recording one of them sprayed urine at the other one?

What you are reporting is very normal sow dominance behaviour.
You can find it described in our sow guide and can also see it in its more extreme form during a season and especially a strong season.

Back