Not drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My rescue piggies still arent drinking!

Could this be because at their old home their water bottle was alway empty so they have learnt not to bother?

If so where are they getting their fluids from? Could they have survived drinking any condensation that may have built up on their hutches walls?

At the moment I'm giving them lots of juicy cucumber. Ive tried a water bowl but that just gets hay and poop kicked into it pretty quickly. Any ideas on how to teach guineas that there is water available to them in the bottle?

honey2.jpg

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have nearly had my two rescue pigs a year, i have only seen one of the drink, and it was only two nights ago!!

Love that pic, thankyou :)

ps/ i give mine cucumber every day, so i know they are getting some moisture x

daleksarah

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my elphie doesnt use her water bottle but i make sure she has fresh veg which is washed which obviously gives her the water she needs

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Leave a water bowl and bottle available for them - you could get a non-spill travel dog bowl to stop them spilling it etc like this, http://www.me-mo.co.uk/images/Doggy Non-spill travel water bowl.jpg - they will get bits of hay and poo and stuff in but they wont care! They may also realise that there's water in the bottle and start using that - it's easy to know because the level obviously goes down.

In the mean time, just do what you're doing - offer them food with a high water content - cucumber, melon, peppers, celery etc. I use this list for inspiration for my piggies fresh foods!

http://www.cardiffguineapigrescue.co.uk/?page_id=27

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine hardly ever drink - occasionally and never very much. The get cucumber every night tho and I always wash their veg so I guess maybe they get moisture from there...

I don't think all piggles are very big drinkers. Mine certainly aren't. I wouldn't worry too much, if they are thirsty I'm sure they will find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.