• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Not eating, loosing weight

F&G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,I currently noticed that my Guinea pig lost quite a lot of weight and it's not eating. It seems like she wants to eat but she can't. Would it be because of her teeth?

I'll phone vet tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_222311795 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200925_222311795 (1).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 34
It could be but the only way to know is to take her to the vet. You will have to start weighing her at the same time every day and syringe feed her to help her maintain her weight. If she’s losing it means you have to increase the syringe feeding. If she’s losing or lost weight that means she’s not eating enough hay. You can use pellets soaked in warm water while you get something else in.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thank you,

Would it be fine under GA? She had a surgery a month ago and I'm worried about another GA

Would what be under GA? What surgery did she have last month?

Unfortunately not many vets are experienced in treating dental piggies, if that’s what it is. You’ll have to take her to the vet and see what they say. Try and get an appointment for Monday.

If it does turn out to be dental issues, you will be recommended the cat and rabbit clinic in Northampton. They’re (Kim and Simon) very experienced in treating piggies with dental issues and other piggy related illnesses.

Grease gland removal. I'll try to get an appointment for tomorrow as she already lost quite a bit of weight. We have a small animal hospital in Edinburgh, so if my vet can't do it I try to get a referral

Ah I remember. How much weight has she lost? You should start with syringe feeding now. Do every 2-3 hours to begin with. The aim is to get 60ml into her in a 24 hour period if she isn’t eating. You can then adjust the amount as she maintains/gains.

150g. Yes, I know. I went through syringe feeding before.

Do you think I could trim them by myself?

I'm worried that she wont make it till Monday if I dont trim it

Attachments

• 20200925_230457.jpg
    20200925_230457.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
Please do not attempt to trim them yourself. You’re not a qualified vet and that way lies madness.

Just keep going with the syringe feeding - Little and often - and get her seen by the vet as soon as possible. Please don’t tamper with his teeth.

:agr: Do not do anything to your piggy yourself, you would definitely make things so much worse.

Sure thank you. I'll phone vet when they open. I'm scared that it may be back teeth too and I would need to put her to sleep because of the costs 😭😭😭

It can be that slanted front teeth indicate a problem with overgrowing back teeth.
Please don’t have her put to sleep if you can’t afford the treatment - discuss the possibility of a payment plan with the vet, or surrender her to a rescue as they will get her treatment (with teeth it can be multiple treatments depending on the issue) and find her a new home

Reactions: F&G
Right, so her molars are overgrowth and they entrapped her tongue. She got an injection and recovery food till Monday.. I'm worried that she wont make it.. shes 640g..

Well see..thank you for help.

I know you’re used to syringe feeding, but do ensure you feed her often, round the clock as with a trapped tongue she won’t be able to eat for herself.
Are they going to do a dental?

Yes, they'll give her anesthesia and trim them. She also got hydration injection that works for 24h

When are they doing it? Agree with the above re syringe feeding. Every 2 hours including through the night.

Hi,I currently noticed that my Guinea pig lost quite a lot of weight and it's not eating. It seems like she wants to eat but she can't. Would it be because of her teeth?

I'll phone vet tomorrow.

Hi!

The incisors look slanted, which indicates uneven chewing on one side; either from a root/jaw abscess in incisor (keep in mind they a ca. 4 cm long and have their roots just in front of the premolars and molar teeth at the back. Or the problem could sit with an overgrowing molar or premolar that causes the uneven chewing for whatever reason.

Please step in with syringe feeding fibre (hay makes 80% of the daily food intake but as it is want keeps the back teeth ground down, it is usually the first food group that is dropped); you can improvise in an emergency with pellets soaked and softened with warm water; cut off the tip of a syringe just before it widens to allow the rougher pellet fibre to pass through. Just feed fresh dog pee free grass (if your piggy is used to it) and/or soft veg and fresh herbs that are cut into thin strips for easier pick up. Your feeding support is as important as any vet care.
More practical tips for emergency and longer term crisis care and feeding support:
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please also be aware that there are other health issues like a fungal candida mouth infection which can cause very similar symptoms because the mouth is painful and swallowing is difficult.
Your piggy may not be going back to eating normally straight after dental treatment. A lot depends on how rodent dental savvy your vet is as this is unfortunately not something that is part of a vet's curriculum.

The Cat and Rabbit Clinic do conscious dentals using a special mouth separator while being held by an experience vet nurse. So no need for GA at all. Simon and Kim will have a good look inside right to the back of the mouth and do any work while you are there. We travel from Cornwall, it’s a long way but worth the journey to see experts and puts your mind at rest too. You don’t need a referral either just give them a call if you think you need to see them. A conscious dental is £60 plus a one off consultation fee about £40, this is a one off, so if you need to come back for any more dentals you just pay for the dentals.
Hope you can get your little piggie sorted x

Reactions: F&G
I was also told by the vet that once we get it done, the teeth won't be growing in the same direction and it probably need to be repeated within 6 months. Is that true?

Also, what kind of toys and snacks would you reccomend for molars?

Back