• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not good news for Amelia

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-vic-x

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Amelia has been back to the vets and she has only put on 50g in the month she has been here, she is so tiny. :(

Her fur has grew back on her face but she still has the head tilt. The problem is her head doesn't always tilt to the same side, and it is often worse when she is relaxed. :(

The vet is suggesing she could have EC, I have had bunnies with EC in the past but have never heard of it in pigs? The vet has put her on 28 days of Panacur.

He was talking about brain tumours and spinal damage last week, and ideally wants to have her in to xray her, and check deep down in her ears but at the minute he says she is too small to do this.

Has anyone got any suggestions.

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No thoughts that are helpful unfortunately. Sending some healthy vibes for Amelia though. xx>>>

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your worries for Amelia. I wish I could help, but I do not have any experience in that respect.

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
With regards to giving advice - i'd be about as much use as a chocolate teapot :) However i was telling becky on friday that my Homer developed a head tilt about 10 days ago and has been on a course of baytril which he finished on saturday. A few days in to the baytril course i thought his tilt got worse and is really apparent now when he walks or when you carry him (it's so bad when you hold him it's almost like he's laying his head on your chest)

The vet also suggested tumors or something neurological - as last November he had a couple of episodes that looked like he was having seizures. The vet did a number of swabs and apart from a little wax in his ears they couldn't find anything - but prescribed the baytril just in case.

In Homer's case, i'm still leaning toward the ears (don't want to contemplate anything much worse) simply because in the last couple of days when you touch his one ear he shakes his head vigorously as if he has an itch

I hope you find out what's wrong with little Amelia then you can get on with treating her/making her feel more comfortable :)

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds like the vet is doing all they can. Thinking of all different problems it could be. Not much advice to be honest except it sounds like your doing everything you can. Bless her little heart.

x.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Oh Lordy Vic....hugs to Amelia and you. Not a nice position to be in with so many "possible causes".

It IS possible for piggies to get EC......but there are few recorded cases. You need to look at the risk of exposure in view of where the piggie has previously been living/their history to see if this is really a valid possible prognosis(IYSWIM).

EC should be curable BTW.....I may be wrong but I was under the impression that maybe a poo culture or other easily accessible sample could sort that diagnosis?

Two piggies of mine have suffered from head tilt.....

The first (6 year old guinea) was due to ear mites (which went undiagnosed with the first rabbit-experienced vet I went to....).....and this was both sides tilting but also progressed to turning in circles. Ivermectin sorted it...but he then had severe respiratory problems and eventually had a stroke from reduced oxygen to the brain courtesy of his lungs filled with fluid :(. It is also possible that the head tilt can be a result of mini-stroke owing to decreased respiratory efficiency....has the vet listened to her lungs?

The second (one sided in a 3 year old youngster) which started a few months ago now (and I thought at first was part of the popcorning...you know...that twitching/ear shake/liveliness) However it seems to be due to what has now turned into an ear infection with pus in one ear..but very low down in the ear canal. On first examination (2 months ago) by an extremely experienced exotics vet ....it showed nothing at all...and we thought at the time maybe some type of trauma (cos he is a lively guinea). However it is clear now (and obvious on the otoscope ) that he has an infection in the depths of his ear...more info when the vet has done his "deep down thing" tomoz......(GA, 'scope the full ear canal and take cultures)

Of course it;s also possible that poor Amelia has an infection in both ears and is just alternating between the two sides trying to find relief....bless her.

Re piggie brain tumours - not much in the literature - but personally, if it were a brain tumour, I would suspect this woud be be a result of agressive lymphoma ( a blood cell cancer) that infiltrates other organs...in which case there would be other signs including swollen lymph nodes in neck/forelegs...and wasting....and possibly infiltration into the eyes

I have had two piggies pass to The Bridge from lymphoma (diagnosed on PM but already suspected owing to swollen lymph nodes) Unfortunately, from my experience, there is a possiblity that this could be causing the symptoms/weight loss and wasting you describe..hence why I have mentioned it..but it really IS only one explanation.....see above for others which are equally possible.

Wishing you and Amelia good vibes and hope you and your vets get to the bottom of what is causing the porblem

HTH.....hugs - it's one of those "very difficult situations"
for you and your vet....ad for Amelia bless her.

x

PS Please don;t take this the wrong way. If you/your vet really think she has lymphoma/brain tumour and is of limited lifespan (blood test would confirm..although I apprecate it is quite risky)...I would gladly take her on at my expense for the rest of her life and pair her with one of my...(sounds cruel but I guess it;s rather apt..). "death row neutered boy piggies".....as they are all in "vet-enforced" lifelong quarantine (owing to an unknown repiratory condition that despite loads of tests cannot be diagnosed.)...nevertheless, one year on, the "remaining lads" are still chipper, wheeking loudly...and desperate for a "bit of skirt" :))

Hope you take this in the spirit it is meant.

x

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Amelia has been back to the vets and she has only put on 50g in the month she has been here, she is so tiny. :(

Her fur has grew back on her face but she still has the head tilt. The problem is her head doesn't always tilt to the same side, and it is often worse when she is relaxed. :(

The vet is suggesing she could have EC, I have had bunnies with EC in the past but have never heard of it in pigs? The vet has put her on 28 days of Panacur.

He was talking about brain tumours and spinal damage last week, and ideally wants to have her in to xray her, and check deep down in her ears but at the minute he says she is too small to do this.

Has anyone got any suggestions.

I think the EC suggestion could be right. I had a piggie a while ago who had head tilt and my vet treated her with Panacur. He had had good results with another pig who was demonstrating similar symptoms too. It definitely helped Skye, and she was well for quite a long time after.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
is it poss she was a inbred guinea which has neurological problems?

also it maybe worth asking the vet for Metoclopramide as this will stimulate her gut and may increase her appetite?

defo worth a try, has the vet tried Surolan ear drops on her?

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Oh Lordy Vic....hugs to Amelia and you. Not a nice position to be in with so many "possible causes".

It IS possible for piggies to get EC......but there are few recorded cases. You need to look at the risk of exposure in view of where the piggie has previously been living/their history to see if this is really a valid possible prognosis(IYSWIM).

EC should be curable BTW.....I may be wrong but I was under the impression that maybe a poo culture or other easily accessible sample could sort that diagnosis?

Two piggies of mine have suffered from head tilt.....

The first (6 year old guinea) was due to ear mites (which went undiagnosed with the first rabbit-experienced vet I went to....).....and this was both sides tilting but also progressed to turning in circles. Ivermectin sorted it...but he then had severe respiratory problems and eventually had a stroke from reduced oxygen to the brain courtesy of his lungs filled with fluid :(. It is also possible that the head tilt can be a result of mini-stroke owing to decreased respiratory efficiency....has the vet listened to her lungs?

The second (one sided in a 3 year old youngster) which started a few months ago now (and I thought at first was part of the popcorning...you know...that twitching/ear shake/liveliness) However it seems to be due to what has now turned into an ear infection with pus in one ear..but very low down in the ear canal. On first examination (2 months ago) by an extremely experienced exotics vet ....it showed nothing at all...and we thought at the time maybe some type of trauma (cos he is a lively guinea). However it is clear now (and obvious on the otoscope ) that he has an infection in the depths of his ear...more info when the vet has done his "deep down thing" tomoz......(GA, 'scope the full ear canal and take cultures)

Of course it;s also possible that poor Amelia has an infection in both ears and is just alternating between the two sides trying to find relief....bless her.

Re piggie brain tumours - not much in the literature - but personally, if it were a brain tumour, I would suspect this woud be be a result of agressive lymphoma ( a blood cell cancer) that infiltrates other organs...in which case there would be other signs including swollen lymph nodes in neck/forelegs...and wasting....and possibly infiltration into the eyes

I have had two piggies pass to The Bridge from lymphoma (diagnosed on PM but already suspected owing to swollen lymph nodes) Unfortunately, from my experience, there is a possiblity that this could be causing the symptoms/weight loss and wasting you describe..hence why I have mentioned it..but it really IS only one explanation.....see above for others which are equally possible.

Wishing you and Amelia good vibes and hope you and your vets get to the bottom of what is causing the porblem

HTH.....hugs - it's one of those "very difficult situations"
for you and your vet....ad for Amelia bless her.

x

PS Please don;t take this the wrong way. If you/your vet really think she has lymphoma/brain tumour and is of limited lifespan (blood test would confirm..although I apprecate it is quite risky)...I would gladly take her on at my expense for the rest of her life and pair her with one of my...(sounds cruel but I guess it;s rather apt..). "death row neutered boy piggies".....as they are all in "vet-enforced" lifelong quarantine (owing to an unknown repiratory condition that despite loads of tests cannot be diagnosed.)...nevertheless, one year on, the "remaining lads" are still chipper, wheeking loudly...and desperate for a "bit of skirt" :))

Hope you take this in the spirit it is meant.

x

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Darn the 5 minute thingumny bob for edits

My neutered lads are all solo - they were ("job lot") neutered in Aug 2008 with the sole intention of getting them a wife each......but unfortunately the problems/quarantine started soon after their neuterings ....hence why they are all still" solo boys"....

x

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Oh piggie tails...

Seems I have double posted as well....sorry everyone

x

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I heard of a piggie in the US who had EC, they also treated with panacur with good results :)
Whee will have claws, paws, fingers and toes all crossed for little wee Amelia xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

COME ON AMELIA xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.