• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Not interested in lettuce?

Alexandra West

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, I've noticed in the last few days, Finnian, my 3 year old boar doesn't want to eat his lettuce. He gets very hyped about his nightly veggies, but won't eat the lettuce. It just started out of nowhere, and I cannot get him to eat it. Once a week I give him a 2 or so baby carrots, every other day he gets some peppers (almost always green). And occasionally he gets cucumbers. He wheeks every night for veggies, but seems to not care for his romaine leaves anymore. He will end up eating them, but he doesn't ravage them like he used to. Do you think maybe he only likes a specific brand? I'm not sure what to go off of here. My vet is closed to walk ins due to COVID and appointments are booked for a long while out. Any suggestions?

He may just be bored of always eating the same type of lettuce - perhaps try a different type and see if that gets him interested again,p.
I notice you only give peppers every other day. Pepper and coriander/cilantro is a great source of vit c so ensure they get a source of vit c from veg every day.

He may just be bored of always eating the same type of lettuce - perhaps try a different type and see if that gets him interested again,p.
I notice you only give peppers every other day. Pepper and coriander/cilantro is a great source of vit c so ensure they get a source of vit c from veg every day.
Peppers every night? Those are his favorite, so maybe that's what he's waiting on! when I was reading up, I kinda thought that peppers were an "every other night" kind of food. What other lettuce can they have? I know Iceburg isn't great for them.

Peppers every night? Those are his favorite, so maybe that's what he's waiting on! when I was reading up, I kinda thought that peppers were an "every other night" kind of food. What other lettuce can they have? I know Iceburg isn't great for them.

Yes pepper is fine for every day. Mine have lettuce, cucumber, peppers and coriander daily.
You don’t mention the other veggies you give them, but they need a vit c rich veg every day.
They can have any type of lettuce except iceberg.

The two guides below will help - (the first shows a sample plate)

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Yes pepper is fine for every day. Mine have lettuce, cucumber, peppers and coriander daily.
You don’t mention the other veggies you give them, but they need a vit c rich veg every day.
They can have any type of lettuce except iceberg.

The two guides below will help - (the first shows a sample plate)

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading
Thanks so much! He's a very picky pig, and won't eat a lot of things, so he gets a lot of the same things like lettuce, peppers, carrots, cucumbers. He use to very occasionally get some spinach, but he won't eat it anymore. I will try harder to give him better veggies.

Have you tried him on aubergine (egg plant) my piggies love it. It's Meg's favourite veg. They don't get much just a small disc between four of them.

Have you tried him on aubergine (egg plant) my piggies love it. It's Meg's favourite veg. They don't get much just a small disc between four of them.
I haven't! That's a good idea though! Looks like I'm going on a shopping trip later haha

Can you get a bistro type salad? Its mixed leaves with shreds of beetroot in it. Most piggies love that. Just a warning their wee might be red for a couple of days after - this is nothing to worry about its just the colouring from the beetroot.

Back