Not running off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I got two baby guineapigs today and have put them into their cage. One of them was hard to catch when transferring from the box to their cage, the other however was very still. I'm a little concerned about the latter as I was expecting both to be skittish. Is this ok? I have left them alone in their cage and won't handle them until tomorrow or Monday. They are both hiding in their house (which is where I have put them). At the petshop they were both running about

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They're probably hiding cos they're in a new environment and probably confused/scared but over time they will come out and start exploring (probably when you're not looking!)
In regards to the pig which wasn't skittish, it was either very scared (too much to move) or is more social than the other. Guinea pigs each have personalities, some run, some don't, some like being handled, some don't etc etc.
Good luck and I hope they settle in well.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are they both eatting ok? especially the one that just stood there?

sorry just seen you had them today! i would keep a close eye on the still one to see if its eating as well as the other one! the thing with going pet shops is you dont know how their health is when you get them...

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Most shop guinea pigs have not had much contact with humans. They can react very differently. Some run away while others go limp in the hope that the predator will lose interest that way and let them go.

Keep an eye on them and talk to them gently as often as you can. It usually takes a few days for new piggies to get their bearings. Place food like hay and some light veg like carrots, coriander or parsley and cucumber near their hide. They probably won't come out unless there is nobody there. Do not worry if they don't eat a lot at first - they will make up for it soon!

Here are more tips on settling new guinea pigs:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36239

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Freezing could be another stress reaction... sometimes prey animals will freeze up and stand very still if they are frightened... the goal is that if they are not a moving target, the threat may not see them. This could explain why one tried to make a run for it and the other froze up. If they're not accustomed to people, either of these reactions is really normal. Being skittish at first doesn't mean they won't be good pets... one of my pigs used to try to make a desperate run for it as a baby but as an adult is the biggest lap pig that ever was (she will kick her hind legs out behind her and sleep on our laps!) One was so nervous when we first got her that she would only sneak out to eat at night, and she is now very social and likes to wheek at us when we pat her- so much so that we have to turn the TV up to hear over her! Give them some time to settle in and you will see them begin to relax a lot more.

Reaction score
She seems fine now. I was in the room with them last night but not touching them (I was on the computer) and they both came out of their house. I saw the skittish one drink but not the one who didnt run off, but I'm sure she is fine. Between them they have eaten half a bowl of food already. I gave them a carrot about 12:30 lunchtime yesterday and by the time I went to bed at 10 it was eaten. I also gave them two parsnip tops that seem to have gone as well. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.