• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

O no! We have a mouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can't believe it but we have a resident mouse! We moved into our new home about three weeks ago and today I found the dreaded mouse droppings in our spare room!

My partner now believes it's the guinea pigs causing them! He was against buying them in the first place! Anyone know if my boys could be causing them

No, certainly not! I would strongly assume that the mice have been there before or have moved into the house through a crack in the floor/walls, even a open door or pipes in search of a warm spot in the wake of the cold weather.

However, I would be careful about leaving any piggy food lying around where mice can get at it and rather feed your piggies little but often, so no food (including pellets) is attracting the mice to the guinea pig cage until you have sorted out the problem.

If in doubt what to do, ring up your council.

PS: am I right that your OH hasn't grown up with pets?

Council won't do anything as we own the property! The boys food is in carrier bags so I'm off to get plastic boxes to store everything!

It's an old house so it's what to expect!

No other half has always had dogs he doesn't
See the point if them. But we have only had the a week today so loads of time to grow on them

Best of luck!

The council should at least be able to tell you what products and strategies to use, especially as you have pet rodents.

In my experience the council aren't really interested in mice problems only rats, we had real problems a few years back when living in terraces, as the whole row was infested and they ran between houses! The best deterrent is to keep everything sealed up and really clean, sweep up any crumbs straight away, don't leave plates/wrapper etc sat around, I remember my flatmate at the time leaving a dirty plate sat on the floor while watching TV and looking down to see a mouse eating off it!

We used a mix of traps and poison, it depends how concerned you are about being humane really, I have to say that they were such an issue for us I lost all sympathy so we used both, but some people are against poison because it's not a very nice death for them.

We have had a rat and mice in our house, since moving here in the summer. The rat was relatively straight forward to get rid of, as they need to get to water, we could follow his trail and lay the poison in the right place. Mice are a little trickier to deal with as they don't need to go out once they're in, as they get all their moisture from the food. The council where we live do send out a Pest Control man free of charge, but ours was entirely rubbish. It may be worth phoning your local council anyway.
I called out the local guy privately, and he helped us sort it out promptly. It's horrible having uninvited guests in your house, I felt bad as we choose to spend our lives with rodents.
Can't blame the Piggles! I was terrified ours would be attacked by the rat, and trussed them up in the hutch inside. Not such a problem with a mouse, they're so tiny.
Hope you get your problem sorted asap.

Not a huge **** at the mo. Brought air tight containers for piggies food, and bedding today as don't want them bring drawn to it. At the mo we are going to leave them as we are onlyseeing a few droppings which isn't a bigy

Thats a shame. My cat is scared of my piggies but would happily chase a mouse around the house for hours to keep herself amused till she killed it

There's a mouse in my house too :P To be fair, Mojito is my pet.
I hope you get your mouse problem sorted! Shame you can't get a cat, I love cats :)

We knew that the house had a problem
When we brought it! My aunt is giving me her used cat litter so gonna try and scare the next door x

if you have seen droppings the chance of just having 1 mouse is very rare you tend to have a family of them, i know has we have had problems the last 3 yrs with mice, like you we left it thinking we only had 1 or 2 when infact we had around 30, we used poison and traps and caught 13 in 2 days on the traps and it took around 8 wks for them all to go.

you need to check all cracks in the walls as they will be nesting in the walls and fill the crack in, if you can fit a pencil in then a mouse will get in.

We have a mouse in our flat too! Boyfriend opened the cupboard yesterday morning to be greeted by a little mouse! We had heard him behind the skirting boards and now he is behind the washing machine....actually think there is a family.

We set a humane trap with peanut butter (apparently thats a mouse favourites), however the floor is uneven in the cupboard and the mouse went in ate the peanut butter (and I mean licked it clean) and left again hahaha

Time to try again!

Hope you catch your mouse/mice!

Not a huge **** at the mo. Brought air tight containers for piggies food, and bedding today as don't want them bring drawn to it. At the mo we are going to leave them as we are onlyseeing a few droppings which isn't a bigy

They breed REALLY quickly and carry diseases, I would be wary of leaving them be.

defo would get rid now why you have the chance as they breed so fast and so many, then what happens when you see you have a massive problem? you will have to move out, i became so scared that i wouldnt move in the house anywhere i was soooo scared, i would see them in the day time too, i became soooo scared to feed the animals that i got o/h to do it, they really affected me badly!

Gonna sort the room that we see the dropping in tomorrow and put down some traps.

I had mice in my shed 2 years ago, the pigs weren't phased by them at all but i do know they carry disease & when i asked my vet about it he said it wasn't ideal tho' the likelihood of them passing something onto the pigs was small.
The only access to food they had was the food in the pigs' hutches so i moved all the pigs in, the mice cleaned every bit of food from every crevice of their hutches & when they realised there was no more they moved out & thankfully they've never been back.

Thats a shame. My cat is scared of my piggies but would happily chase a mouse around the house for hours to keep herself amused till she killed it

This is exactly why mice wouldn't come in our house. Our cats are exactly like that, they run away from the piggies. Jack is the only one who catches mice in the garden on a fairly regular basis. I hate to see him catch them cuz they are outside and not doing any damage and I think they're cute but I can't stop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back