• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Obesity in Guinea Pigs.

igor10916

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Igor is an American crested beautiful and very friendly boar. He is 2 year old and weighs 1.1kg and I was wondering is this obese or overweight for an adult boar. He has a balanced diet of hay, veg and nuggets.

Attachments

• 62AF9EE8-9098-44D8-A94F-90B557421B28.jpeg
    62AF9EE8-9098-44D8-A94F-90B557421B28.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 12
That sounds well within the normal weight range for an adult pig.
So long as he has a healthy diet with lots of hay and exercise you don’t need to worry.
He’s a handsome boy

Obesity is very rare in guinea pigs and only happens with a combination of bad diet and no exercise. I have adopted 2 obese piggies, but they lived for 2 years in an 80cm hamster size cage and were fed unlimited high fat pellets and muesli and high sugar veggies like unlimited carrots. A vet can check your piggy out if you are at all unsure, but the body condition score (can you feel ribs at all? If so very good) is far more important than the weight. Strong muscles and bones are much heavier than fat, so my unexercised flabby 1200g piggies are obese but a sturdy muscular 1200g piggy would be healthy. If you're worried at all see a vet then if there's a problem increase exercise (bigger cage and more floor or playpen time) first then look at lower calorie pellets.

Back