• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Off to France 🇫🇷

sophasaurus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my mum and stepdad moved to France a year ago and we were due to go out there in August when kids are off school for a holiday for about 2-4 weeks. I enquired months ago about boarding, although I wasn't sure how I felt about them going to someone I didn't know. I also thought it may be kinder than the roughly 12-14 hour journey door to door (driving, catching P&O Dover- Calais ferry). Well I never booked anything due to corona but now the restrictions are lifted we're still hoping to go out there. I've nothing saved towards pet care now and just had a big car expense as well as a few other massive expenses so now I would be bringing them with us as I don't think I could afford any other option. I know there are some stories on here but most I read are at least 2 years old and obviously things change, so is it still pretty easy to travel with piggies and do they still not need passports or docs etc? Can't seem to find much on Google at all but I'd hate to get to Dover and be turned away as I'm coming from the Midlands. Thanks for any help 🐹

I would check with the ferry company if there are any restrictions. have a lovely holiday x

I would call the ferry company directly as currently they don't list guinea pigs as one of the animals you can take with you.
Taking Pets On Holiday | Dover to Calais | P&O Ferries - UK

Make a note of who you speak to and when, and preferably get a written response to your question so there can be no confusion on the day.
I do know they also take rabbits as a friend of mine recently (in the last 6 months) did theis exact same route with her rabbits (and dogs) to come to Switzerland from the UK.

When you are planning to travel with your pet (even one exempt from the pet passport scheme like guinea pigs) then it is always good to get a vet check a few days before, and have a vet sign a certificate to say they are healthy and fit to travel. I would also always carry proof of ownership (pet shop receipt) to prove you have owned them prior to travel, and their country of origin is the UK.
It seems like overdoing it, but you don't want to take any chances where your pets are concerned.

Don't forget to also make sure you have the details of a vet local to where you will be staying in France, just in case of any emergencies while you are there.

Just to add that you should only ever take advice on pets travel from official sites such as DEFRA.
Here they state no paperwork is required for guinea pigs, and it is fine to bring up to 4 into the UK with no restrictions.
Please understand that not everyone you will deal with may know this, so always print out all offical information and keep it with you when you travel.

Bringing food, animals or plants into the UK

I would call the ferry company directly as currently they don't list guinea pigs as one of the animals you can take with you.
Taking Pets On Holiday | Dover to Calais | P&O Ferries - UK

Make a note of who you speak to and when, and preferably get a written response to your question so there can be no confusion on the day.
I do know they also take rabbits as a friend of mine recently (in the last 6 months) did theis exact same route with her rabbits (and dogs) to come to Switzerland from the UK.

When you are planning to travel with your pet (even one exempt from the pet passport scheme like guinea pigs) then it is always good to get a vet check a few days before, and have a vet sign a certificate to say they are healthy and fit to travel. I would also always carry proof of ownership (pet shop receipt) to prove you have owned them prior to travel, and their country of origin is the UK.
It seems like overdoing it, but you don't want to take any chances where your pets are concerned.

Don't forget to also make sure you have the details of a vet local to where you will be staying in France, just in case of any emergencies while you are there.
Thank you, I think I'm going to try email them so that I have it in writing ready to print out. I guess if they're okay with rabbits it shouldn't be too different for a guinea pig. That's great thanks I'll get a vet check to show they're clear. Do they need anything prior to travel? Just trying to work out costs. Although I'm not sure how to prove ownership, I got them in 2018 so can get an old bank statement but it's not going to really prove much as I could have got anything from there i guess 🤔 I have already found a local vet should I need it thank you 😊

Bringing food, animals or plants into the UK
[/QUOTE]
Hi I also was thinking about taking my 2 piggies to France via euro-tunnel in Aug and i read they could go but need a vet check up to 5 days before travelling, but cant seem to find where i saw it now! some one else said they had to be checked again on the way back but I'm hoping not! the vets will charge me £39.50 for the check up and certificate! but since ive found a piggie hotel thats only charging £10 more than the vets for the week and supplies all the food/bedding etc so probably will do this. (slightly worried though)

Hi I also was thinking about taking my 2 piggies to France via euro-tunnel in Aug and i read they could go but need a vet check up to 5 days before travelling, but cant seem to find where i saw it now! some one else said they had to be checked again on the way back but I'm hoping not! the vets will charge me £39.50 for the check up and certificate! but since ive found a piggie hotel thats only charging £10 more than the vets for the week and supplies all the food/bedding etc so probably will do this. (slightly worried though)
[/QUOTE]
I've never travelled the tunnel so I'm not really sure if that'd be any different. I heard about a vet check too, but I'm pretty sure that when I read it more clearly it was for when moving out there permanently. That's a good price, but I'd make sure there's loads of reviews and maybe see if you can go for a visit before hand to get a feel for the place, meet the people and see what it's like

I did email p&o, they sent an auto response dated saying they were currently working on emails from 26th June and would get back as soon as possible, they have no phone lines open at the moment. Can only contact again after 12 days have passed, so stressful as my mum is going on at me about booking it but like I said to her, it's pointless booking if there's complications! Children and guineas come first!

Not wanting to be a party pooper.
Could you not get someone you trust to call at home and feed water them etc.
I would help you alas I'm miles away. :dri: But I would or kidnap them for a while.

I would help you alas I'm miles away. :dri: But I would or kidnap them for a while.
yes ive looked into friends, but its a big ask for 1-2 times a day for a week, when i had a cat it was difficult enough. everyone doesn't live a walking distance so bit of a pain and my friend who also has piggies, i did ask is busy that week. and paying people to come to mine worries me they might not turn up.

Thanks for the advice but I have no one! Me and my sister aren't close, I have no family or friends at all. My one neighbour I was going to ask has just had a baby a week ago and has a toddler too, she's exhausted right now and recovering so I'm not going to ask her. I considered a pet sitter, but then having a stranger not only look after them but come into my house everyday, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thank you for the offer though even if you are miles away, kind of you 😊

[/QUOTE]
That's a good price, but I'd make sure there's loads of reviews and maybe see if you can go for a visit before hand to get a feel for the place, meet the people and see what it's like
[/QUOTE] yes my friend has used them before.

Ok. Have you though about a local pet shop or RSPCA or local rescue piggie place. Check them out of course. I went away and left 1 piggie with a pet shop who had good reviews or your vet my vet have missed who look after pets for love . Just a thought and I'm defo not wanting to you tell you what to do only trying to help

Ok. Have you though about a local pet shop or RSPCA or local rescue piggie place. Check them out of course. I went away and left 1 piggie with a pet shop who had good reviews or your vet my vet have missed who look after pets for love . Just a thought and I'm defo not wanting to you tell you what to do only trying to help
Thanks for advice, I'm sticking with taking them with us though due to cost and it being last minute. I also don't like phone calls, and so ringing loads of places trying to find somewhere just isn't an option. Still not heard back from p&o. Decided I'm going to get a vet check to be on the safe side. I've gone to look at prices and it asks if I'm travelling with a pet, and mentions dog cat or ferret that I have to buy a ticket (15 per animal) for. I believe I don't have to book them tickets, but can anyone who has done Dover calais with piggies confirm if they needed to pay for tickets for them with p&o ferries

Thanks for advice, I'm sticking with taking them with us though due to cost and it being last minute. I also don't like phone calls, and so ringing loads of places trying to find somewhere just isn't an option. Still not heard back from p&o. Decided I'm going to get a vet check to be on the safe side. I've gone to look at prices and it asks if I'm travelling with a pet, and mentions dog cat or ferret that I have to buy a ticket (15 per animal) for. I believe I don't have to book them tickets, but can anyone who has done Dover calais with piggies confirm if they needed to pay for tickets for them with p&o ferries
Only the ferry company can really confirm their policy on tickets for guinea pigs.
Technically the cost is to cover checking paperwork, and since guinea pigs don't officially need paperwork then they should be free, but the ferry company make the rules.
Realistically a vet check before travel is a good idea, and if the ferry company decide you need a ticket but don't confirm until the day then you can probably just pay on board.
They will have to stay in the car anyway, so it's not like space allocation is an issue.
But all you can do is e-mail and wait for a response.

Only the ferry company can really confirm their policy on tickets for guinea pigs.
Technically the cost is to cover checking paperwork, and since guinea pigs don't officially need paperwork then they should be free, but the ferry company make the rules.
Realistically a vet check before travel is a good idea, and if the ferry company decide you need a ticket but don't confirm until the day then you can probably just pay on board.
They will have to stay in the car anyway, so it's not like space allocation is an issue.
But all you can do is e-mail and wait for a response.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking it's hardly a space issue or anything so shouldn't be too bad. But I'd hate for our holiday to be cancelled, my young girls would be so upset. Equally upset about leaving their piggies behind thanks for the advice everyone. Was still hoping to hear off someone who's done the trip in the last year if anyone out there?!

I would never base your trip on someone else's expereince, particularly in the last year!
Things are constanly changing (more so now than ever) so it is always best to deal directly with the company involved.

I would never base your trip on someone else's expereince, particularly in the last year!
Things are constanly changing (more so now than ever) so it is always best to deal directly with the company involved.
Thanks I know that, but it's still good to know if they've previously required tickets or not because it doesn't look like I'm going to get a response in time!

[/QUOTE]
Hei, I red about you traveling to france with piggies and I was wondering whether you could provide some information how it went. I am plannign to cross the tunnel with two of my piggies and I am worried reagarding the policy and what do I need to actualy get there.

Back