Oh dear....I have a dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DebbieR

I bought G&M some Gerty last week cos I forgot to put guinea food on the shopping list and that was all there was in the pet shop. I always said I would NEVER feed gerty but it was better than them getting nothing. I even told the pet shop owner what the problem with gerty is and she is considering not getting it anymore.

Trouble is they love it. Not one morsel is left in the morning! They have never eaten every single bit before.

What a dilemma I have now. Do I buy it for them because they love it or go with my better judgement and keep them on the Wagg and Tesco food?

I suppose if they ever need to have their urine tested, i could take them off it for a couple of weeks before.

What do you think?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Why don't you give Gerty as part of their mix of Wagg etc?

I can't use Gerty as Sumo and Ted both have kidney/bladder problems but when I have used it in the past my lot have loved it too. I guess it is like letting kids have sweets all the time! We all know how yummy things that are supposed to be bad for us are!

G

gothchick1515

Mine love it and it doesnt seem to make them ill so i would give them it, maybe as a treat or something

Reaction score
I'd mix it with your usual, thats how you are suppose to change their food anyway gradually so think thats the best option,

Reaction score
Yes i'd give them a handful of each too x

D

DebbieR

Don't worry, the gerty has been added gradually. I still had half a box of Wagg left when I bought the gerty. I'm now thinking, how can I go back to the pet shop and buy more gerty after telling the owner about the evils of the stuff. She'll think I'm barmy :D ;D

Reaction score
And she'd be wrong how............. :o ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*

Reaction score
LOL my lot don't like it either! Now introducing them to the PAH nuggets with their tesco food.

D

DebbieR

I've given in a bought G&M another small bag of Gerty today. I sent my friend into the pet shop to get it in case the woman recognised me ;D ;D

D

DebbieR

The pet shop owner didn't warn my friend about it though so it's obvious she didn't take in a word I was saying tut tut ::)

Reaction score
As far as I know, unless its been reformulated, the reason they say don't give gerty is because it has sun set yellow colour in it which can cause all kinds of health problems such as bladder stones, which can require surgery.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
someone on here said it caused false glucose readings, which led to insulin overdose

Status
Not open for further replies.