Oh dear me - someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ilovepiggies

I have two boars who are both under a year old who have been living together as far as I am aware since they were tiny.
Just recently one of them seems to have become very 'horny' and keeps on mounting the other - he wont leave him alone and keeps chasing him around the cage and on the floor ?. Also I think he is doing something (wont describe it in detail) which is leaving a wet mark and a rather nasty smell on the others bum. I think its going to start causing nast fights soon if he doesnt stop it.
Has anyone else experinced this with two boars? Is there anything I can do?

G

gothchick1515

LOL! I see it all the time with all my boars, ive been sprayed once of twice! it does stink but its natural behaviour so unless there actually fighting dont worry my boys did it for ages until they got bored and now they are absoloutly fine! x

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oooh THAT smell ;D ;D it's horrid isn't it?

My two boys had never done it but recently when they've met my new third boy they do it. The mounting thing too. I'd be interested to know what people think. Does it mean they will fight? My three don't live together but I was wondering whether to let them loose out on the living room floor together. Now I'm not so sure. That smell really is awful...

I'd watch them carefully!

Sarah x

P

piglover

You do have to watch them, but all babies and youngesters do it - unless theres any teeth rattling and facing up to one another or yawning its normal. The smell is pretty disgusting but it is natural! I have 4 boars that play out on the floor together but dont live together, we do have all that - mounting and rumbling and swaying at each other but no teeth rattling or yawning! But because they are in such a large area they all find their own little corner for timeout! I never leave them out if I'm not in the room. But unfortunately its all part of boar behaviour!

amanda

Reaction score
I have two boars who are 7 months old and the one, ginge, has been mounting Nugget for months....he chases after him, mounts him and does his business (if you know what i mean) and then runs off popcorning!

Nugget will sometimes just tolerate it, or like last night started teeth chattering and nipping but eventually Ginge backed off and it all calmed down.

Dont worry they will soon sort it out, i think its just a sign of whos dominent, just keep an eye on them.

I

ilovepiggies

Thanks, I will keep an eye on the of course. I think its because Hamlet (the one doing the mounting) is a little older than Othello and hes discovered what he can do before Othello who is very babyish and seems to let Hamlet do it sometimes but then other times he stands up for himself and getd Hamlet off.
I hope it passes soon.... :-\

That smell = :o

sars1359

Reaction score
thankyfully ive not smelt it yet..

and I'm dreading when I do,as one of our pigs in with anothr male is damn horny( thinking of taking lessons in hornines fro him,lol)
CONDOM FOR PIGGIES TIME
heh

I

ilovepiggies

ha ha ha yeah thats what my partner was saying condoms for boars and rubber pants for sows! ;D

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hugo does this to Hurley and I've asked before and apparently it's natural. I've fortunately not smelt anything yet but poor little Hurley does sometimes have something waxy and stick on his bum that I have to clean off :-\ As long as they seem happy and aren't fighting I wouldn't worry. I've made sure there's spaces for Hurley to escape to if he wants/needs to.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
you can imagine the smell when i walk in the boys shed with 16 of them more before it can reek but mine seem to tolerate it pretty well, some of them lift their back leg as if to say gerrof me! some give them a look or just turn themselves away, floor time together is a good idea but be watchful, have hidey places and plenty of food and water for them so they have less reason to argue,
but it sounds pretty normal and the wet stuff is boar glue as its nicely called lol

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
LOL Duke did this to poor Sully all the time, as has been said already sometimes they tolerate and sometimes it's like GET OFF ME ;D

They did sort it out in the end, Duke was dominant but when Sully was sick he looked after him :'(

Good luck, keep an eye on them as everyone has said, always a great idea to have yummy treats to keep them occupied seemed to help me a bit ;)

I

ilovepiggies

Well last night there was no 'humping' or bas smells - thank goodness :o

L

lilgalnatalie

:D i rember my first time :D
I think its just marking territory. it happened when i brought in a new time. try to settle them down by giving them some carrots. i just gave mine regular baths!

M

minky

LOL

Strange you say about that smell ive only really noticed it this week when Nigel seems to be so damn horny ! wont leave poor Rosie alone

Its perfectly natural as the others have said

Status
Not open for further replies.