• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Oh my god! - Lose Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Who is watching? - They are saying guinea pigs are not like dogs and other horrible things :(

well I dont have a telly so I cant really say anything about this show, but... no, piggies arent like dogs? ?

A letter was sent to them saying her 7yr old pig is not very well and not sure whether to have it pts and said she is worried about how her daughter will be. A lot of them on the pannel were saying "well its only a guinea pig, not like its a dog or anything!" Grrr

Just typical of a lot of peoples attitude towards smaller pets. Because they have never kept them indoors and bonded with them, watched their little ways and personalities develop...they think they have no character.

If more people kept them inside, spending more time with them they would be appreciated more for their entertaining and individual little characters :)
Obviously not everyone chooses to do this and this is not a criticism of them :)

Barbara

I couldn't imagine having mine anywhere else :) I love having them in the front room, :-*

I emailed them but they didn't read it out.

I thought it was such a typical response, after all guinea pigs (and rabbits) aren't important as pets are they, you can always buy another one >:( Items like this really don't help in the care of these small animals at all.

However, I did feel for the lady who wrote in, seven years old is a good age for the piggy and if it were me I would explain to the daughter that as much as she loves her guinea pig he won't live forever and the vet can only do so much - having pets is about knowing when to let them go, I think anyway.

But to say 'oh put it to sleep it's not like it's a dog is it' made my blood boil >:( >:(

kayjay said:
But to say 'oh put it to sleep it's not like it's a dog is it' made my blood boil >:( >:(

Exactly, probably like most of us here, I'm not ashamed to say I cry everytime a guinea dies, especially if it is pts situation. I don't care that I am in the vets, it's just the way I am.
I always stuff a boatload of tissues in my pocket when i know I am taking them on their final journey.
Thankfully our vet, nurses and reception staff are lovely and understanding.

Barbara

I'm always getting responses like that. When I told people at my dance class that I wasn't there last week because I had to make a mercy dash to Hastings with George they all said "Hastings? You went to Hastings because of a guinea pig?"
Even the vet once told me to put my appointment for my poorly hamster off until my cat was better :o I told her to bog off. I said "no matter what's happened to Gemma, Lucy's still sick and I love all my animals equally".

cavykind said:
kayjay said:

Exactly, probably like most of us here, I'm not ashamed to say I cry everytime a guinea dies, especially if it is pts situation. I don't care that I am in the vets, it's just the way I am.
I always stuff a boatload of tissues in my pocket when i know I am taking them on their final journey.
Thankfully our vet, nurses and reception staff are lovely and understanding.

Barbara

Both me and my son cried when we took our mouse with a poorly tail, I honestly thought the vet would be able to treat him or I wouldn't have let him go with me, but the mouse apparently had gangrene and the vet put him to sleep. I thought I'd handled it well telling my then five year old all about it but when we got home he asked when Nice was going to wake up :'( A couple of days later we got a little sympathy card from the vets which I thought was a nice touch.

The words "only a guinea pig" make me cross and sad

Peter Gurney wrote a fab book and put something on the very first page about people who say this.

There is no "only" about it. grrr.

Well i think its their loss if they cant see the magic and love guinea pigs give you.

who was presenting it today?

Jane Macdonald (who presents on there) well her auntie is married to my grandad, i have never met her though lol

I think its awful that they said that, if it was Jane ill tell my grandad

All I can say is that none of them must have had piggies cause they wouldn't say such a thing if they did! I think if people have no experience of piggies they don't understand how great they are!

I didn't see this episode but I did see the one with long dark hair (think she's married to a footballer & is on Heartbeat or a programme like that?). She was being interviewed on I think it was the programme with Ferne something or other & Philip Schofield (sorry my memory is really bad tonight!) - I'll get to the point in a minute - bear with me! She was on about her handbag collection and she said her favourite one was a (I think she said python) handbag. They asked her if it was real and she looked a bit embarrassed & said she didn't know.

Hatred on sight I'm afraid .....

(ps just read this all back - really sorry, it's so vague!)

Attitudes of some people are quite scary - how you can just dismiss a life like it has no value?

When my rabbit was poorly - people at work (not the most sympathetic bunch!) said I should pts because it was CHEAPER! >:( What sort of reason is that? Needless to say, I didn't and after some nail biting moments, he made a full recovery.

One bit that always confuses me is the whole 'it's different if it is a dog' arguement. I have a dog. He is my little runt and I love him to pieces but my piggys are my gorgeous girls and my rabbit my grumpy old man and (this may sound a bit cliche) but my heart is big enough for all of them. All will receive the best care I can give them, money no object when it comes to vet treatment and I will grieve for each and every one of them when their time comes - like I have grieved for the 4 piggys, 1 rabbit and 1 dog that I have lost in the past. I do not value my dogs life higher than any of my other animals. My bond with him is different - I admit that - but no way more important.

In regards to crying at the vet :'( - I sobbed my heart out when my lovely Meeka was pts in September this year, when my handsome Voxall dog was pts in January 2003 and my tiny Ben (rabbit) was pts in July 1999. I have a wonderful sympathetic vet - which is good ;D

OOO i know what you mean my mums little cat ( shelley) got attacked by a dog when she was about 7 months old ( shes 8 yrs now ) and the vet bill was going to be over 200 quid and all our workmates ( we worked at same elderly home) said," oo get the thing put to sleep" I was so mad i just thought what a heartless bunch of ...( black n white things that eat grass in a field) Luckily i get my animal love from my mum and although Shelley has a funny misshapen leg shes still purring along quite happily.

Its worse here where I work. Its the education dept of the council and everyone here is so child orientated that they don't value animals at all :o There is only one other animal lover here. Its awful :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back