• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

okay i just want to know is it okay that i line my guinea pigs floor with hay because no one else thinks so! they are outside piggies,1 and male

is it alright

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReggieAndPotter

New Born Pup
Reaction score
okay so i just want to know can i line their flooring with hay because no one else thinks so? i came to this website to ask and find out thanks if you can help. can you recomend anything?

Yes, hay is fantastic as the bedding for a hutch. Put some newspaper down first and then add plenty of hay. Just top it up as required, they will eat a lot of it. Make sure you put plenty in their bed to make it cosy. I use hay, it’s great because the poos and pees drop down through the hay so it stays quite fresh. Clean out twice a week. If you can get a bale of hay from a farm it’s much cheaper x

Soft meadow hay is fine. It's straw that is the problem, sharp stalks cause hay pokes, especially to eyes.

Yes, hay is fantastic as the bedding for a hutch. Put some newspaper down first and then add plenty of hay. Just top it up as required, they will eat a lot of it. Make sure you put plenty in their bed to make it cosy. I use hay, it’s great because the poos and pees drop down through the hay so it stays quite fresh. Clean out twice a week. If you can get a bale of hay from a farm it’s much cheaper x
Is farm hay ok to use? I’ve been advised against it as there are more likely to be mites in it.

Is farm hay ok to use? I’ve been advised against it as there are more likely to be mites in it.
I have always used farm hay and it’s been fine, when you buy a bag of “commercial hay” it’s just the same but bagged, both come from a field. Your piggies will love it x

I have always used hay with my Rainbow Piggies and now with my current piggies. I found lining it with newspaper OK but it went all pappy with wee so now I use puppy pads and it is so much better. You do need to keep renewing it as piggies eat ALOT of hay. Don't worry if they eat the stuff they wee and poop on mine do it all the time I think it must taste better if you're a piggy!

Here is my hutch lined with hay

Too much hay 1.JPG

I might ditch the fleece and use newspaper as the cage lining, and just keep with my layer of floor hay, I'm tired of fleece😴

What's the floor made of? The only time I'd think it would be a problem is if it's straight onto the ground. But then the problem would be lack of a waterproof floor rather than hay, per se, if you see what I mean!

(Indoor Cage)
The Vet bed in their bedroom drives me mad, I brush it with a stiff brush but I can never get all the hay and hay seeds out! It takes me as long to clean out the cage as it does to brush the vet bed. I do love it though where they lay as they never get pee stains on them after a sleep on vet bed and it does stay lovely and dry. Just a pain! Vet and hay don’t mix :no:

Back